Talk

Advanced search

Yes I know it is vain and feeble...

(18 Posts)
stripeybumpsmum Tue 16-May-06 21:15:37

I realised this is quite pathetic in the general context of BF but...
I am BF DS, now 15 weeks. All going swimmingly and plan to BF until at least 6 months, maybe longer (taking return to p/t work into account). However, big problem I have is bras. I am somewhat 'well endowed' shall we say in the breast area. After pg and now B/F, I am not sure how much more I can take without underwires! Think of the Humber/Clifton/Firth etc Bridges supported by elastic and you are somewhere near to understanding my need for girders.I know mums are supposed to be able to multi task but I think buffing my shoes whilst walking is a going a bit far IYKWIM

So what to do? The only nursing bras with wires don't go up to my size. Plus, cup size fluctuates a lot pre and post feed.
Any advice MNers?

Piffle Tue 16-May-06 21:19:26

Have you tried Bravissimo, I am not sure exactly what size you're alluding to, but I hit a J cup when bf dd, and had a super one from Emma Jane and another good one made by Royce which I got at Debenhams.
Both unwired both gave good support

Nightynight Tue 16-May-06 21:21:10

oh goodness all I can say is that I breastfed wearing normal, underwired bras.
I later read on MN that its meant to make your norks drop off or something like that but I dont think it did mine any particular harm.

Nightynight Tue 16-May-06 21:21:29

oh goodness all I can say is that I breastfed wearing normal, underwired bras.
I later read on MN that its meant to make your norks drop off or something like that but I dont think it did mine any particular harm.

CristinaTheAstonishing Tue 16-May-06 21:21:40

I heard that LLL sell a nursing bra through their website.

Nightynight Tue 16-May-06 21:23:14

Message deleted

NotQuiteCockney Wed 17-May-06 07:50:32

The risk with wires is that they increase the risk of mastitis, as the wires could press on the breast and cause problems, particularly with boob size fluctuating.

If you don't seem very susceptible to mastitis or blockages, you could just wear a normal bra, and undo it at the back when feeding? Not great for feeding in public, but it becomes more and more of an option, the longer you bf for.

harpsichordcarrier Wed 17-May-06 08:06:07

neither vain nor feeble
I am larger of nork and seem to have been bf and/or pregnant since the dawn of time, so I feel your pain

ime (extensive) this is the best one available
Bravissimo has some otehr good ones
Elle MacPherson does lovely bras but Too Small I fear
good raneg here and reasonably priced

I tend to wear sports bras too, and just flop the cup down seems to work fine
hth

sfxmum Wed 17-May-06 08:09:50

i know how you feel. i mentioned on a another thread that i bought a bf underwired bra (Anita) on figleaves.com. its softer than other underwired bras but it made me feel normal again iyswim.

i must say however i only ever used it when out of the house an would change once indoors, had terrible fear of developing problems with bf, this never happened, i am glad to report, still going strong 12months later.

this is just my experience everyone is different of course.

sfxmum Wed 17-May-06 08:14:31

and i am a big size think available to at least H

Enid Wed 17-May-06 08:26:32

<<nips in to thank hc for link - not that I am partic norkularly challenged (only dd) but found a good looking nursing bra on that site, ta>>

the woman who has replaced me at work went up to a size 32 N when bf apparently

hoxtonchick Wed 17-May-06 08:29:19

i've given up on nursing bras now dd is 10 months, just use normal underwired ones with no problems at all, though i'm not prone to mastitis.

Enid Wed 17-May-06 08:30:12

(I used a normal bra the other day as the drop cup ones in the wash - a bit awkward but possible!)

stripeybumpsmum Wed 17-May-06 09:57:18

Thanks for advice everyone.
HC, the link to Bravissimo is the one I've got, and although not quite to my usual underwired-heave-em-all-in standard, I agree it is the best nursing bra I've found. The one with the zips is quite good but I am sure has been designed by a man to exact revenge on women for all the times blokes have caught themselves in their flies...
BTW, on fitting, I found John Lewis excellent, M & S good (but lacking range) and Mothercare absolutely useless. Similar experience anyone?
With norks this size, not really anyway to feed discretely (and I am not buying one of those weird bag things) so the drop cup bit not essential. Think I will satisfy my wiring urges every now and then as I am a bit more reassured wires and BF don't mean I'll get gangrene or leprosy or something.

Ta muchly

006 Wed 17-May-06 10:01:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

katzg Wed 17-May-06 10:02:14

my midwife said that underwires were ok providing they were properly fitted and regulary checked for fit. this was when i had boobs so big i struggled to find a bra that would fit them in! they got a little smaller a 38J and found some bras

CristinaTheAstonishing Wed 17-May-06 10:19:45

I was talking about underwired nursing bras yesterday and someone said (which made sense to me) that the reason normal underwired bras are not recommended is that you tend to lift it over the boob and the underwired bit can press on the upper side of the breast. Whereas if you use a proper nursing undewired bra the cup comes down or opens sideways and you don't need to press your breast with the metal.

CristinaTheAstonishing Wed 17-May-06 10:20:27

And pressing on your breast can cause blocked ducts etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: