Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

how long is too long...

(12 Posts)
NotAnOtter Tue 16-May-06 14:45:08

for breast fed baby 3 months old NOT to poo??

i am stringing out somewhat...not been since wednesday

suzywong Tue 16-May-06 14:46:16

that's 6 days
that's quite a long time
someone sensible like tik tok will be on and give you good advice

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 16-May-06 14:48:49

Some can go for up to 10 days i think.

Tiktok pupuce or mears might be able to reassure you though.

NotAnOtter Tue 16-May-06 14:58:42

thankyou girls ...just seems long!

JennyWren Tue 16-May-06 15:02:58

I was advised by a very good midwife that anything between once a feed and once a fortnight was normal. The only thing too worry about was if the poo itself was hard to pass when it actually came - ie if the baby actively seemed very constipated.
Hope that helps,
JennyWren

NotAnOtter Tue 16-May-06 18:19:00

thanks jenny that does make me feel better - still no news!

tiktok Tue 16-May-06 19:46:36

Babies up to a few weeks old normally poo several times a day; after that period (and the maturing of the gut with its hair-trigger gastro-colic reflex) it is normal to do anything between several a day and once a fortnight...the less often, the more likely it is going to be a massive h....u....g....e up and out the neck of the Babygro job

suzi2 Tue 16-May-06 19:59:42

my DS used to go once a week at that age - at the most! Sometimes it was longer. It was always massive when it arrived so make sure you carry loads of wipes and a change of clothes! It was always really stinky (not like breastfed babies poo should be!) and clay like and he seemed to be uncomfy for a day or so before it came. but wouldn't you be if you only went once a week?

Don't worry about it, it's normal. My DS started pooing more frequently once3 he was on solids.

lizzythemonkey Tue 16-May-06 21:15:06

yup, my ds1 was a once a week-er - I remember on holiday once he had gone for 6 days without pooing and we were facing a 10 hour train journey but fortunately he "produced" before we set off! He's 7 now and would kill me if he knew I was posting this!!

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 16-May-06 21:34:10

I think, in the circumstances Otter.....you need to make sure you are equipped with plenty of wipes, a towel and several changes of clothes for you LO - if you dare venture out before a nappy explosion....

FrannytheGazelle Tue 16-May-06 21:35:47

Yes we had a 10 dayer once - friends were ringing for status reports

I would carry an entire change of clothes for both of you and a few yards of plastic sheeting if you happen to have them handy, till the fateful day comes

NotAnOtter Tue 16-May-06 21:38:30

Thanks all of you ..I am supposed to be doing my one normal morning out of the week tomorrow and am now dreading it!!!
Tink i will put a terry nappy on my knee just incase VVV!
I hate to admit it but i gave him a couple of ounces of sugar-water as a friend told me it was a dead cert however - it has just caused a load of breast fed-poo trumps and nothing more

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: