Talk

Advanced search

What are the stats for people still breastfeeding at six months?

(10 Posts)
MsElisaDay Tue 23-Apr-13 10:08:30

I'm just wondering what percentage of mothers are still bfing at six months really. My DS is that age and I seem to be the only person I know still going - is this really the case?

I know that the official figures say 2 per cent of babies are exclusively breastfed at six months, but that's not really what I'm talking about.

My DS wouldn't fall into that category, for example, as he had a few formula top-ups when he was struggling to regain his birthweight.
Although he hasn't had formula for months now, the two per cent figure still wouldn't include him, right? Also, we started giving him a bit of fruit, veg and porridge from 24 weeks - so, again, he wasn't "exclusively" breastfed at six months.

So what I'm wondering is what proportion of mothers are, to all purposes, breastfeeding at six months.
To me, the two per cent figure is a bit misleading as it discounts those babies who might have one formula feed at night, might have gone onto solids a little bit early or might have had to have top ups early on.

Any ideas?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 10:11:31

That's an interesting one. Dd weaned herself early at 23 weeks by nicking food from our plates, but was bf for 2.8 years.

Will watch with interest smile

DrMcDreamysWife Tue 23-Apr-13 10:15:07

In a group of six mums I met at antenatal class we are all still breast feeding our 7 nearly 8 month olds. Only 2 of us are still exclusive, the others have introduced formula in the day really because they are back to work soon. Most of the mums I have met at classes locally are breastfeeding still although not many exclusively. But I think that it's maybe the area I live in..

DrMcDreamysWife Tue 23-Apr-13 10:16:57

Obviously we've all been weaning for a while though...only 3 of six waited till 6 months but all made it to 5 months before introducing 'real' food!

woopsidaisy Tue 23-Apr-13 10:19:30

Wow, I didn't realise I was a rarity!
DS3, is 8 mo and still bf. Weaned at 6 mo, but blw, so didn't get too much in the way if solids. Even now he takes a small breakfast, lunch and dinner. Bf in between and bf every hour all night!
Tbf, I would have had him on a bottle by now if he would take it! I am definitely ready for a night out! [ grin]

Startail Tue 23-Apr-13 10:40:56

You are not a rarity, All the friends I can think of who successfully BF carried on way past 6 months. Well in to toddlerdom, to five and my own DD2 well beyond.

I had a cute 18 month old feeding away in my living room the other day. It was lovely, we are all getting older and he'll be the last baby of my direct peer group.

Startail Tue 23-Apr-13 10:45:03

Nights out, feeding cup of juice and a baby yoghurt.

You don't think I'd have stood my milk refusing, bottle refusing DDs antics for years if she hadn't let me go swimming one evening a week and settled for DH. OK she didn't always sleep through afterwards, but she was never hard to settle after a night feed.

woopsidaisy Tue 23-Apr-13 11:10:49

Sorry, I meant a rarity according to those stats mentioned above if 2%. Although as msEliza says, that doesn't take in to account those on just the one bottle at bedtime etc.
I only know one friend who was still only bf at 6 mo. nearly everyone else did solids at 4/5 mo.

CloudSurfer Tue 23-Apr-13 11:20:15

There seem to be a lot of mums who self wean until toddler/preschool, but if it's only at bedtime or occasionally as they get older I guess you don't notice as much as with younger babies.
Of around 15 mums I know who breast fed past the first few weeks all but one are still feeding at about 9 months.
DS is 9m/o and counted his feeds yesterday and was 17 times sad I don't think we'll be stopping any time soon!!!

kritur Tue 23-Apr-13 19:06:16

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20406743
This suggests 1/3 still feeding at 6mo, 81% start, less than half by 3mo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now