Talk

Advanced search

Rejecting her bottle but only ever had a bottle

(21 Posts)
Lynz1987 Tue 23-Apr-13 08:38:13

I'm aware on mumsnet most of the mums on here breast feed. I did not from the get go, I know this is frowned on but chose bottle for my own reasons ( selfish I know) but I did think I could gandle the irregularity of breast feeding ie. not knowing how much and exact times etc. I now know the reason behinds feelings as I have been diagnosed with PND and OCD.

So you can imagine at 41/2 months now my baby has started to reject her bottle after only 2-3 oz after being on 6 oz every 4hrs (4-5 bottles) a day this is quite distressing for me.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Is there a reasonable explanation
DD is teething and have started her on rusks in the morning ( 1/8-1/4 ) are these reasons?
She is a slow grower my DD is exceptionally long but only weighs 12lb 12 oz
Any advice welcome

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 09:45:07

Lynz you don't need to explain your reasons for ffing and there are lots of MNers who do ff from day one through choice.

Have you posted this on another section? It's just that the rusks thing sounds familiar?

ThedementedPenguin Tue 23-Apr-13 09:53:36

I ff my ds who is now 7 months.

He did this around the 4 month mark. It really stressed me out. However, I just let him take what he wanted when he wanted, after a week he went back to normal. However I was exclusively ff him.

When it happened to my ds he was still a happy boy between feeds, playing and laughing so was obv getting enough.

Try not to get too stressed (I know easier said than done.)

Unfortunately I have no other advice to give you.

5318008 Tue 23-Apr-13 09:59:43

Please don't think you have to explain reasons for chosing to ff, lots of folk chose to ff

Wrt rejecting, perhaps change the teat to a faster flow, she might be getting fed up of working really hard to get milk out. Or she might be letting you know that she currently fancies milk little and often, babies do this, changing their patterns with no thought for poor parents expectations! smile
Rusks really aren't very nice, even the lo sugar ones are jampacked full of sugar. Try a teething ring, or toy.

Lynz1987 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:05:38

Thanks for all ur replies, she's really happy in between feeds active and playing. I'm going to play it by ear hard for me with the OCD,but I shall just wait till she tells me she wants her food. At the mo she's not really crying for a feed.
Can u leave it 5 hrs between feeds?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 10:07:42

Lyndz can you go 5 hours without having anything to eat or drink?

DD2 goes up and down with feeds. Around the 4 month mark she did drop right down.

Your baby doesnt need food yet but if you choose to wean dont do it with rusks.

5318008 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:11:09

I cant link on my phone but there is a post by the analytic armadillo about feeding cues for both bf and ff babies, it's really good. Crying is a really late feeding cue, and the aim is to feed before the baby cries if you see what I mean.

Julie, do you know the AA post I'm on about?

lottieandmia Tue 23-Apr-13 10:12:27

How about trying a different formula? What does she have at the moment?

I agree, there is no way you should feel the need to justify your choice of how to feed your baby on here smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 10:20:15

I didn't but I do now! cue feeding not demand feeding smile

Sorry Lyndz my last post was a little short. Just meant that if you want a gap of 5 hours ideally this should be at night not during the day. I don't know what other ffers do as I bf but I wouldn't let a ff baby go more than 4 hours without offering a feed, 3 hours max for a bf baby.

Have you spoken to your HV about your feeding concerns? Is your Hv any good?

Have you read the MN info on weaning and the NHS info on staring solids too?

Just out of interest why did you decide to introduce solids before 6 months?

5318008 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:28:16

Isn't it just super, that AA post. Thanks for linking, Julie. Mwah.

Lynz I know scheduling feeds can really help anxiety, but sometimes the baby doesn't want to play ball. Good luck and please, do feel free to ask and ask and ask, the pool of knowledge and experience on here is astounding

wigglesrock Tue 23-Apr-13 11:45:31

I formula fed all of mine and each of them had fussy weeks where they didn't take as much. Usually it coincided with teething. If your babys happy enough and seems well, wet nappies, alert etc then it could just be a stage (one of many). It's difficult not to panic a bit especially if the feeds were always quite scheduled.

Lynz1987 Tue 23-Apr-13 17:12:41

Thanks so much for all ur advice I think it get teething.
I decided to start with solids purely because it took her ages to get up to 4-5 oz of formula and I go back to work in 6 weeks selfishly I didn't want to start weaning and working if I left her too it she would be 7-8 months no solids she's a reall skinny mini.
I don't think it's right to leave her 5 hrs it was just a musing!!
I'm hearing a lot that 4-5 months is a hard time with lots of changes just wish I could deal with it better :0(

5318008 Tue 23-Apr-13 17:37:14

Oh sweetie, it does get better, I promise.

You take care now, much love x

noblegiraffe Tue 23-Apr-13 17:46:04

If she's teething the year might be hurting her gums. Try some baby bonjela or maybe calpol before a feed, see if that helps.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 18:54:23

Dentinox is a good teething gel too and try ibuprofen. It's much better than paracetamol for dental pain, well according to my orthodontist anyway smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 19:07:48

Are you getting some help with your pnd too? I can really recommend the association of post natal illness. Have you had any help with your OCD too? CBT should help you with both, worth trying if you've not tried it before smile

Giving the rusks could well be the reason Lo is taking less from the bottle too. The current advice is to offer the milk roughly an hour before you offer any solids, just to make sure Lo gets enough milk. Rusks aren't really recommended as first foods either. If you do want to continue with the weaning, puréed fruit and veg is a much better choice as first foods smile

If she is skinny I'd be tempted to leave the solids for now. There aren't many foods you can give her that are as calorific as her milk, and by giving her the solids she could take less milk so could be having less calories in a day, not more IYGWIM.

Lynz1987 Tue 23-Apr-13 19:59:09

Thanks Julie yeah I'm leaving the solids for now just want her back up to 6oz, it's so frustrating.
I am getting help I've got a referral from my GP for a consultation to decide if therapy or antidepressants or both will help. Thanks for taking the time to offer ur advice :0)

Lynz1987 Tue 23-Apr-13 20:00:10

Thank u so much for the support xx

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 20:22:02

Hope your consultation goes well and don't forget to pack your tissues smile

Hope you get time to look at the APNI website, its worth reading doe of the stories and ringing the helpline while you are waiting for your appointment smile

You might also like the book What Mothers Do. Your local library will probably have a copy.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Apr-13 20:22:45

Some not doe smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now