Talk

Advanced search

Am being mauled by my 11 month old. Any suggestions?!?!

(15 Posts)
lua Tue 16-May-06 13:05:08

Hi All,

My DS all of sudden seems to have forgotten how to be gentle.... He has teeth since 6 months, but he seem to be clenching them more and more very day... OUCH! It is getting to be really painful! It is not really biting, so I can't really tell him to stop, IYSWIM....
Any ideas on what is the problem, and to fix it please?!?!?! [desperate emoticon]

lua Tue 16-May-06 15:00:55

Really could use some suggestions....

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 16-May-06 15:04:36

No, not had this as such. DS is 13 months but he has only bitten once or twice and my reaction was enough to put him off it again. (I pulled him off and sat him on the floor).

The only other time he has bitten down was when he has had something in his mouth when he has gone to latch and i havent realised. This seems to make him want to chew instead of suck .

I dont know what to suggest except that maybe his gums are sore with teething so try a abit of teething gel/alternative before feeding?

lummox Tue 16-May-06 15:06:43

Hi Lua,

No suggestions really as stopped bfing when ds was 10 months. From about 6 to 10 months he went through phases of nipping as you describe and it was very painful.

I didn't find any of the methods I'd read about - gently pushing his face into the breast so that he had to stop to breath, or saying no - worked.

I'm pretty sure it was teething related, but since he is teething about 50% of the time at the moment, that didn't really help much either.

Sorry for the doom and gloom and lack of suggestions. Sympathy in buckets though.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 16-May-06 15:10:53

If he is clenching, he is probably not feeding while doing it?

I think DS2 went through a phase like this, I just took him off if it was uncomfortable. And put him down, if it was really uncomfortable. It's mean, but it works. And if this sort of thing means you end up bf for longer, then it's all for the best, imho.

lua Tue 16-May-06 15:17:52

Thanks guys! Was feeling lonely here...

I can't figure out how he is doing! I think he is actively sucking, but "resting" his teeth abit harder than it should?! In the morning he will lay down and nurse for 30 minutes. It will be fine for 5 minutes, and then we'll start to bother me about 10 minutes in, and now |I just can't make it through anymore. He is not nipping or biting, but it seems like his mouth is just more close than it should?! Hre had been a good nurser until now.
I am really upset because I'm don't want to wean him. But I might have to it. There are distinct teeth marks by the end of each session.

lua Tue 16-May-06 15:19:09

NQC, so is it impossible to nurse and leave teeth marks at the same time? I am puzzled about pulling him off, because he doesn't seem to be intentionally biting IYSWIM....

mcnoodle Tue 16-May-06 15:31:32

Hi Lua

My 11 month old was doing exactly the same for a bit. Maybe a coupleof weeks or so, not every feed but most of the time. Was very uncomfortable but not really biting, more clenching. I felt like all of a sudden he'd stopped latching on properly. Anyway, good news - he's stopped doing it. Just like that. Think it's all teeth related. Try and persevere with it. Take him off if it's too painful. Hope it magically disappears soon. x

lua Tue 16-May-06 16:06:49

Thanks McNoodle! That gives me some hope!

Jackstini Tue 16-May-06 16:32:08

Lua - you could try nipple shields if it gets really painful. I know they are not ideal but I suppose a lesser evil than giving it up altogether if that was your only other option?

NotQuiteCockney Tue 16-May-06 16:46:04

Well, that's not entirely true, lua, to be fair. Teeth marks on the top are possible with proper nursing. Teeth marks on the bottom aren't.

I think the fix for teeth marks on the top is a change in positioning. You want the nipple pointing more at the roof of your baby's mouth. I think.

lua Tue 16-May-06 20:25:50

NQC, I get teeth marks in the side ! What does that mean?! I think it is left by the bottom teeth, but I'mnot 100% sure [daft woman emoticon!]
I realize though, that is mostly on one breast, so it must have to do with positioning...
Will try some repositioning! Thanks for the help!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 17-May-06 07:40:19

Oh, by top I mean, top of the baby's mouth etc, not top of your breast!

Teeth marks on the bottom mean the tongue isn't covering the bottom teeth. That shouldn't happen when bf.

Double-check where the marks are, and maybe talk to a local BFC, who can see you feeding?

I'd also pull him off when he clenches, he might be experimenting, but needs to learn that this is not a good thing to do.

lua Wed 17-May-06 12:01:33

NQC, Thanks for your help!
I did force him to latch a little further in this morning, and we both had a much better time!

Belo Sun 21-May-06 19:47:06

Lua - I'm having the same problems. dd2 is 10 months and has jsut started biting. Or rather chewing. She actually drew blood on one side and I've now got a cut which refuses to heal. I fed her sister until she was 16 months without this problem. I only feed her morning and night, and have been doing that since she was 6 months and I went back to work. I don't want to give up but the feeds really are painful.

Are things getting any beter for you? This has been going on for almost 2 weeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: