Talk

Advanced search

Help! Back to work in 18 days and DD won't take bottle

(15 Posts)
MadameJosephine Mon 22-Apr-13 14:56:51

Have posted here and in weaning, hope someone can help.

I've got to go back to work one day a week from 10 may and DP will be looking after DD from 8-5. DD is 23 weeks old and EBF. We had a practice today to see how they got on without me and DP had to call me home because she was hysterical and wouldn't take the bottle of EBM I left for her . She used to take a bottle no problem when she was younger but hasn't had one for a while.

What do we do?

I've bought a sippy cup to see if that helps but if she won't take milk from that what do I do? Should we try syringe feeding a 6 month old?

I was planning to get to 6 months and do blw but maybe I should start weaning a bit early so at least she will eat something while I'm gone?

Help!!!

leobear Mon 22-Apr-13 15:02:07

Hi - what type of bottle are you using? I thought DD2 was about to be a bottle refuser, then had success with NUK bottles with a natural latex teat, also slightly warmed the milk. I tricked her into taking it by holding her sideways facing outwards, and getting her to latch in a position similar to breastfeeding. I made sure I offered at leas one bottle every single day, and now she happily takes either bottle or breast. Good luck! I know how stressfulit can feel. I found perseverance was key.

MadameJosephine Mon 22-Apr-13 15:13:50

In just using the avent bottles that came with my breast pump with the stage one teats. She took them no problem when she was younger which i was optimistic about but it's probably been a couple of months since we tried it. Do you think if I give her one bottle of EBM every day for the next couple of weeks that would help?

leobear Mon 22-Apr-13 15:23:07

I used avent with DD1, no problem - DD2 wouldn't take them for love nor money, so annoying. I had far more success with NUK and natural latex, but obviously it's not a guarantee.

Could the avent stage one teat be too small for her? What age do they go up to? I think they move on quite quickly.

I think she definitely needs a bottle a day, I had a similar situation with DD2, she took a bottle early, so I didn't bother again until 3 months, and she point blank refused. She's 4 months now, and happily takes one, but I have been really strict about ensuring she has at least one a day, because I think they do need time to adjust and be comfortable with it, so I would say do one a day from now on.

ThedementedPenguin Mon 22-Apr-13 15:26:22

Have you tried bigger teats? I went straight onto number two teats with my bottle fed baby as number ones are too small. He is now 7 months and on number 4 teats

MadameJosephine Mon 22-Apr-13 15:48:41

I remember reading somewhere that breastfed babies need a slow flow teat as they are used to having to work harder for their milk but in willing to give anything a go. Would poking some extra holes in these ones have the same effect before I go out and blow all my money in more bottles?

ThedementedPenguin Mon 22-Apr-13 16:42:58

You don't need more bottles. You can buy the teats separately.

I'm not really sure but the hole is tiny so maybe just try the next one up.

Although ill be very honest I haven't really got a clue, so you might be best waiting for someone else to come along.

Smize Mon 22-Apr-13 18:15:34

Hi, I had the same issue, DD just used to scream when put a bottle anywhere near her from about 4 months. Finally got her to take a bottle at around 6 months just giving her a bottle with an ounce or two of milk to hold and play with when she was sitting in her bouncy chair. Did this in between feeds so she was more relaxed and less stressful for both of us. After a few days she took a drink from the bottle by herself and was no bother from then on. I changed to using formula in her bottles as I found it extra stressful when she rejected milk that had taken me ages to express! I also suspected my milk wasn't keeping properly in the freezer (Kellymom website has good advice on heat treating milk before freezing if you suspect this is an issue but I found it all too much of a faff). Good luck.

tumbletumble Mon 22-Apr-13 18:20:15

As she's only 3 weeks away from 6 months, I'd start weaning her now so she is less reliant on milk by the time you start work.

PoppyWearer Mon 22-Apr-13 18:37:41

OP, please don't get stressed about it. It will be fine. Enjoy your remaining leave with your baby.

How do I know? Because I went back to work when my DC1 was not quite 6mo and she was a devout bottle-refuser. I spent my last month of maternity leave in floods of tears thinking she would starve without me.

Guess what? She didn't. She learned to take a big bfeed in the morning and drained me as soon as I collected her.

The nursery tried patiently every day to get her to take a bottle or a sippy cup. At 9mo she cracked and took it.

We still bfed her to 14mo.

I wish I had that precious time back to stop stressing about it.

FWIW with DC2 we introduced a bottle a day pretty much from birth, to avoid a repeat. I still bf him to 15mo.

Bramshott Mon 22-Apr-13 18:45:55

I had this with both DD2 at more or less the same age. In the end we weaned her slightly early and mixed milk into her purees. I fed her when I dropped her off, and when I picked her up, and she had a bottle of formula with one of these soft spouts for her to mostly play around with in the middle of the day. She was absolutely fine!

CityGal29 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:54:48

Mine were both the same but after a few days took te tommy tippee supper juice cup age 6m + with b/m in it & went to 4 feeds from me per say. All was fine dont worry X

abigboydidit Mon 22-Apr-13 21:15:51

Hi - I am going through something similar with DD so thought I would share what I'm trying (though it hasn't been a complete success yet!).

Totally agree with the comments re the latex teats. In fact, initially I bought the cheapest of cheap savers range bottle from Sainsburys and then went online to Nuk and ordered their small hole, size 1 teats (the ones the shops stock tend to be medium hole which is for formula rather than BM).

Also agree with warming it up.

Start trying to introduce the bottle at a point when she is content and not hungry. I was trying to give DD a bottle for a night feed when she was tired and hungry (double whammy) and it totally stressed her out. Instead I've been letting her try the bottle about 1-2 hours after her feed with just a small amount in it. I let her her get used to the feel of the teat in her mouth, chew it etc. The difference was huge and so much less distressing. After a few minutes she would take a few gulps or more.

I've also been offering a bottle when she's just waking up/drowsy (but again, not waking up starving!). She'll often start sucking before she's fully awake & then happily continue with the full feed. Am hoping that by doing it gradually like this, she'll start to see the bottle as something nice and comforting. However, I am still at the start of the process and it may not work! Good luck!

PoppyWearer Mon 22-Apr-13 21:19:39

My other piece of advice would be to try straw cups and even those cartons of formula with straws in. Both my DCs got the hang of straws quite early on, better than sippy cups etc.

MadameJosephine Tue 23-Apr-13 18:54:23

Thanks for your advice everybody. I bought a cup with one of those soft spouts while I was in Sainsburys today and put 30ml of EBM in for her after a bf and she had a bit of a play with it and drank a little bit so that may help, tried the same cup but with a teat too and she chewed it a bit and dribbled the milk all down her face but it's an improvement on hysteria so planning to that at least once a day so it becomes familiar.

If all else fails he'll just have to put her in the car and bring hey to work so I can bf in my lunch hour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now