Talk

Advanced search

Two week old baby bfing every two hours through the night. Normal?

(10 Posts)
mylittlepuds Mon 22-Apr-13 09:29:25

I can't remember this with DS although to be fair I was still recovering from the shock of becoming a mum

She's going a lovely three and a half hours during the day between feeds but as soon as I go to bed its every 2. It's been like that for the last four nights so I fear a pattern developing!

Is that me a zombie now or may it change? Is there anything I can do to turn things around?

milkysmum Mon 22-Apr-13 09:33:17

From what I can remember that sounds pretty normal for a 2 week old. Congratulations on your new arrival. (someone else will hopefuly be along soon with something more useful to say!!!)

pod3030 Mon 22-Apr-13 09:34:13

totally normal smile my dd started at 2 hourly bfeeds at night, then it went to 3 hour gaps, and so on so it does get easier. they've got tiny tummies at this age and need it topping up regularly. Somehow you get used to it. Then the 4 month growth spurt happens!

marzipananimal Mon 22-Apr-13 09:35:54

Sounds pretty normal I think. Can you get her to feed more often in the day? Then maybe she'd feed less at night

Jenijena Mon 22-Apr-13 09:38:35

Congratulations! and, yes, normal. It will get better, but I've never found any correlation between how much he has during the day and how much he wants at night puts a temporary stop to my broodiness for number 2

Geckoandthemonkey Mon 22-Apr-13 09:54:30

Totally normal. Have you considered/researched co-sleeping? I think it's the key to successful full term breastfeeding, having Bf both my boys beyond a year, doing nightfeeds lying down&asleep. The height of laziness, I know, but it just seems so natural to me. I never feel like I am sleep deprived.

mylittlepuds Mon 22-Apr-13 13:47:52

Thank you all. I have a gut instinct that this isn't a phase...I think the only real option is going to be going to sleep earlier on a night due to my toddler. Tough though when it's the only sane time you get!!

theidsalright Mon 22-Apr-13 13:52:03

Yes, it's normal. Sending you sympathy!

theidsalright Mon 22-Apr-13 13:53:36

Oh and she will suss it out, it might just take a while. . . Don't intervene yet, she's just getting the hang of it!

leobear Mon 22-Apr-13 15:03:46

Totally normal, and then they sort of flip around and become less nocturnal. Until 4 months (holds eyes open with matchsticks).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now