Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need advise if this is normal or Comfort.

(16 Posts)
LittleJack15 Mon 22-Apr-13 07:52:11

Hi my little one is on me constantly! He'll have a fed for about 40mins then fall asleep on me. I'll wind him for about 5mins then put him down. He'll sleep for a few mins then wake up looking hungry again an want to go back on for 15mins then fall asleep again. This goes On For hours then finally he'll sleep for a bit. Then wakes up and it starts again. Is this normal, because I've been told by a few people he's doing it for comfort? Forgot to say my little one is 5 weeks old.

LittleJack15 Mon 22-Apr-13 07:56:23

Forgot to say. Some times I can get a bit long sleep if I rock him to sleep for 20mins. But not much more.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 22-Apr-13 07:58:16

It is completely normal smile It is absolutely exhausting, but also lovely that he wants you to be close to feed and reassure him smile

It is probably a mixture of hunger and comfort. At 5 weeks, your baby is still building and regulating your supply, and he is still overwhelmed by the world and knows only your body as his comfort. Evolution has ensured that new babies cling strongly to their source of food, warmth and security, so he does what he can to make you hold him.

Btw, you may get people saying he's 'using you as a dummy'. Please be ready with a retort about how rediculous that is - dummies are used as replacement mummies, not the other way round!

Good luck! The feeding will calm down eventually, I promise. Meanwhile, enjoy the snuggles and kiss his little head smile

Forgetfulmog Mon 22-Apr-13 07:59:07

Sorry, but my dd did this too, it is normal I'm afraid, but it won't last so don't worry!

Best not to introduce a dummy until he is about 10 weeks to ensure bf is fully established.

Lots of choc & cake to get you through it!

Theas18 Mon 22-Apr-13 08:01:38

5 weeks feeding constantly is normal. There is a growth spurt at this age anyway.

I don't understand the " comfort" thing myself because surely as his mum I'm there to be his comforter when he's a weeny 5 weeks new anyway?

Hold your baby lots. sling him if it helps (esp if you " have " to do stuff) but really consider it your job to feed him and comfort him and get others to other jobs for you IYSWIM eg get DH to cook, you mother who " wants to help" to do the kitchen floor or what ever needs doing.

Remember friends and family who really offer " help" usually mean it and certaily if I offered a mum friend help I woyldn't mean " let me snuggle you baby while YOU do the kitchen floor, I'd mean " tell me where the bucket and mop are " !

Does that make sense?

BitBewildered Mon 22-Apr-13 08:04:52

Entirely normal and exhausting. It won't last forever though. Congratulations! thanks

harverina Mon 22-Apr-13 10:07:06

Yes normal at 5 weeks. Probably a combination of comfort and hunger and either is fine. It will get easier soon grin

Lancrehotpot Mon 22-Apr-13 10:25:16

'dummies are used as replacement mummies, not the other way round!'
This can sound a bit harsh, but seems to be forgotten by a lot of people! There's nothing wrong with your LO wanting you; it's normal and won't be this intense for long. Congratulationsgrin

theidsalright Mon 22-Apr-13 13:57:04

It's normal. Milk and Comfort are both fantastic things to provide for your baby! Breastfeeding provides both. Sounds like your baby is doing great and becoming quite the little bf expert!

LittleJack15 Mon 22-Apr-13 14:25:18

Thank you everyone I was starting to worry I was dong the wrong thing. Glad it's normal.
gringrin

LittleJack15 Mon 22-Apr-13 14:27:15

I'm lucky this phone put my words right or from lack of sleep my message wouldn't be English.
gringrin

harverina Mon 22-Apr-13 14:42:21

No don't worry. You will probably have lots of the older generations pr those who are not aware of what is normal saying "are you feeding again". Just ignore them. So long as your baby is gaining weight and thriving just keep doing what you are doing grin

LittleJack15 Tue 23-Apr-13 17:23:26

Today I'm worried my little one has had enough milk. He's gone from a hungry little man to just having a 15min session then falling asleep!

LittleJack15 Tue 23-Apr-13 17:24:42

Did that message wrong, worried he hasn't had enough milk.

BitBewildered Tue 23-Apr-13 17:34:41

Just keep offering him milk whenever you get an opportunity, or if he does any rooting kinds of movement at all. He has been building up your supply and his own reserves so he might just not need so much today. I remember thinking that as soon as I felt confident DC1 changed her behaviour and I was fretting again grin. Try to just follow your DS's lead, as long as he's weeing lots he is getting enough. Your posts take me back 3.9 years!

midori1999 Tue 23-Apr-13 17:39:21

It is all very normal, probably comfort as well as food, but that's normal too. smile He might sleep for longer if you are happy to just hold him after a feed or is you use a sling, Moby Wraps are good for newborns. You aren't doing anything wrong, so don't worry about that.

It's also normal for feeding patterns to change. As long as he doesn't seem unwell, is waking for feeds and you're feeding on demand, plus there are enough wet and dirty nappies, all is well. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now