Talk

Advanced search

BFing with, um, less than perky breasts?

(14 Posts)
weeblueberry Sun 21-Apr-13 21:39:15

I know in the grand scale of things this is probably a ridiculous question but I admit its sort of making me nervous prior to my first baby's birth.

I'm very very keen to breastfeed if possible. We've done nct classes where breastfeeding was discussed in depth and I've read a lot about how to get the correct latch etc. However after losing 6 and a half stone so I could get pregnant my breasts are less than...'pointing up' if you will. They (and my stomach) have certainly taken the brunt of my weight loss and despite them increasing in size during pregnancy, my left breast seems to have drooped a bit. My right one is fine hmm but I am worried that my left is so low that it will make breastfeeding on that side very difficult? I've just got images of the poor baby feeding right from underneath and being smothered by the bloody thing. Or would I just be expected to lift it every time I feed on the left?

Someone tell me I'm being an idiot?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 21-Apr-13 21:47:39

Less perky will probably actually be easier as you will be able to position them more...

DoingTheSwanThing Sun 21-Apr-13 22:00:22

You'll be fine smile
Might need to support boob more than the books suggest though (although there is an argument for hands-free, no pressure points which could increase chance of mastitis etc).
DOI - been the unfortunate owner of granny-boobs since puberty. Twins EBFing at 8m, fed Ds1 beyond 2y. Norks have seen better days <sigh>.
Good luck!

FattyMcChubster Sun 21-Apr-13 22:01:01

Mine are far less than perky and I'm still bf at 11 months so it can be done! I do have to 'hold' my breast as I feed but that seems to be a habit I've got into and more for me than dd.

DoingTheSwanThing Sun 21-Apr-13 22:01:59

Disclaimer - apparently it's pregnancy that knackers any pert-ness anyway.

More... Uum... Elastic boobs have advantages for feeding lying down etc grin

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sun 21-Apr-13 22:03:12

My boobs are very saggy and still managed to feed them for 9 mtgs each. You just flick the nipple in

ScariestFairyByFar Sun 21-Apr-13 22:03:38

It shouldn't be an issue I used to have to support boob more than others till I got the hang of feeding but fine apart from that. Think of the positive side I could feed with dd lying on my lap hands free once we got the hang of it!

PacificDogwood Sun 21-Apr-13 22:04:53

You will be fine smile.

Just adding: try the cross cradle hold - I found that much more comfortable. Also you can probably feed for hours comfortably with having the baby lie on your lap and you leaning forward. I know I did that a lot (44 year old 34G boobs by the time I had DS4 - perky? Not so much...)

weeblueberry Mon 22-Apr-13 11:09:48

Thank you everyone - feel a bit better about it now. I know it's such a daft thing to worry about but I'm at that stage grin

Meringue33 Mon 22-Apr-13 19:24:25

My nipples point down and out so just have to either adjust where the baby lies, or hold my boob in right position (I do both; I support boob with one hand and baby lies on pillow so I still have one hand free for MNetting!) You will be fine, you will get the hang of it. Just watch out that when you are looking at videos online or getting advice from bf counsellors that it is tailored to your body and you're not trying to do exactly what someone with small perky boobs would do, iyswim. Rugby ball hold is also good if you have big boobs and baby is having difficulty latching in cradle or cross cradle.

Jenijena Mon 22-Apr-13 21:15:54

A droopy 40F here, bigger still immediately after birth.

I had to hold my breast for most of a feed when baby was little, and I found feeding on my side harder as there was so much of it, but not too bad. Experiment with every position, including dangling (great for blockages!) and ask for help from anyone who can (bf counsellor s, drop in clinics, etc etc)

Huge congrats on the weight loss and the baby!

TwitchyTail Mon 22-Apr-13 22:38:27

My boobs are not unperky, but I've always held them in position for the duration of feeds - never got the hang of hands free. It's fine, you'll still have one hand free to eat/type/text grin

Earthworms Mon 22-Apr-13 22:47:48

Now I'm scrawny with fried egg boobs.

It was a pita when bf, there was so little leeway with boobage. I always thought some less pert ones would come in handy. Dd was a little wriggler too so every fidget caused her to unlatch and fuss.

Longer boobs would have come in handy!

mumnosbest Mon 22-Apr-13 22:53:26

Definately an advantage ime! Easier to position, especially feeding laying down. You'll save money on expensive silly nursing bras as saggy boobs just flop over the top of your bra then squish back in grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now