Talk

Advanced search

Evening cluster feeding - when will it end!?

(9 Posts)
FreeButtonBee Sun 21-Apr-13 21:08:15

DTs are now 2.5 weeks and DTS still cluster feeds pretty much every night. He gets to the almost sleepy stage and then <ping> eyes open, mad head shaking squealing bobbing on and off for hours - it can go on til 11 easily. Now wide awake - hasn't had a proper sleep since 2 and this is not unusual. His sister is fast asleep. He feeds well during the day and over night but I would like a bit of my evening back. Any hope/ideas? I have tried letting him stay on the breast for ages (they are not fast feeders so am talking about after an hour here) and also taking him off when pretty sleepy but notmcompletely gone. Seems to be the same result no matter what.Complicated by the fact that I am normally feeding both tandem on my own which means logistics are harder and I only have one boob to play with here.

Anyone offer some hope?

rootypig Sun 21-Apr-13 21:10:16

sorry, no, DD cluster fed for a good couple of months....

can you feed lying down? that with a little bit of judicious co sleeping was my salvation.

MultipleMama Sun 21-Apr-13 21:57:55

Not really, my dts are 7 months and still cluster feed through the day, however we have night time pretty much worked out. Also, mine are still waking up around 2-4 hours, feeding each time. I think it just depends on the child.

MultipleMama Sun 21-Apr-13 21:59:07

I tandem feed my boys on a night also, and I bf laying down with them wrapped in blankets and the lights dimmed/off and they usually pass out during feeding.

FreeButtonBee Sun 21-Apr-13 22:18:59

He's finally passed out - 3.5 hours tonight. Ugh.

DTS not a fan of feeding lying down the little sod. He only does it with a fat engorged morning boob. DTD is much more amenable to lying down. Might have to work on evening feeding upstairs rather than in front of the Telly. Wonder if he is over stimulated.

MM - don't say 7 months!! I can handle the 2 hourly feeds during the day but would like a bit more peace in the evenins to make up for it, even if it is just to catch an hour's sleep (daytime sleep is pretty hit or miss - Ihaven't had a daytime nap in weeks becaus they are so unreliable).

MultipleMama Mon 22-Apr-13 00:55:07

But with dd it last about 4 months and she stopped cluster feeding and fell in a routine and slept about 6 hours straight on a night.

Day naps are rare for me as I have to entertain dd even if dts are napping. I think after a while your system forms a routine, mine did but having 4 dc I'm used to it lol

plummyjam Mon 22-Apr-13 03:43:33

My DD stopped at about 4 weeks. Started taking dummy at 6 weeks which was a godsend for my nips and her reflux. Glad I didn't introduce one before BF was established though.

If it's any consolation she's a really fast feeder now (10mins tops). I sort of miss the cluster feeds now! Get some box sets and DP to bring you drinks etc and try and enjoy it whilst lasts I say!

FreeButtonBee Mon 22-Apr-13 07:21:42

Oh my god. DTS slept 9 hours last night. I had to lift him at 7 because my right boob was about to explode. DTD also slept a 7 hour stint from 7.30 to 2am and then only woke at 6.

Cluster feedi g may continue if they start to sleep like this - probably a one off but I certainly enjoyed my practically unbroken night's sleep.

plummyjam Mon 22-Apr-13 09:42:56

Wow!!! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now