Talk

Advanced search

Giving up breastfeeding my 1 yr old???

(4 Posts)
Busybeebaby Sun 21-Apr-13 20:15:01

Hi

I have a 1yr old DS who I breastfeed once in the morning and evening and about 2 or 3 times during the night. I have absolutely enjoyed my breastfeeding relationship with him but I have now reached the point where I want to give up! I just don't have a clue how to go about it. He does have the occasional formula feed if being looked after by grandparents but now that he is 12 months I would assume it would be silly to transition him onto formula. However at least I know he will drink that because he absolutely refuses to drink cows milk unless its in his cereal! I have no clue what to do and was wondering if anyone could help me?

tumbletumble Sun 21-Apr-13 20:23:43

I stopped breastfeeding my DS at 12 months. I expected it to be a nightmare but it was much easier than I expected. By then I was only doing one feed at bedtime so it was replaced with a story (read by DH for the first couple of nights as he was not associated with milk). I didn't bother with bottles or formula - went straight on to cows milk and a cup.

As you're still doing several feeds I'd suggest dropping them gradually - maybe one per week?

Busybeebaby Sun 21-Apr-13 21:01:37

Thanks Tumble, I am definitely going to go down the gradual route. I think night weaning is what I want to tackle first! However the only problem is that he won't drink any cows milk either from a bottle or a cup. He just takes one sip, spits it out and then bats either the cup or bottle away. I have even tried flavouring it with hot chocolate or fruit like banana but he won't have it unless in cereal!

tumbletumble Mon 22-Apr-13 07:19:55

Are you using milk straight from the fridge? You could try warming it to room temperature? Otherwise no harm in using formula till he gets the hang of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now