Talk

Advanced search

Why is my left boob so rubbish?

(16 Posts)
BedHanger Sun 21-Apr-13 14:57:02

I am tandem feeding a 7wo and 2.5yo, so my supply shouldn't be an issue at all as I feel like I'm feeding 24/7 at the moment.

However, supply on the left seems to have dropped off a cliff. I had a bout of mastitis on Friday which I happily managed to shift, but it made me realise that not only am I significantly smaller on that side, I also feel letdowns only infrequently and don't hear much swallowing - certainly not compared to the right.

A similar thing happened with my older DS, but that was after several months rather than only seven weeks! What's going on? I don't think I'm feeding preferentially from the other side. What are the risks of losing supply on one side? I'm assuming that it's perfectly possible to meet DS2's needs solely from the right, is that correct?

benitsy Mon 22-Apr-13 12:38:14

I'm mixed feeding at the moment but my 9 week old gets incredibly frustrated with my left boob.

BedHanger Mon 22-Apr-13 14:44:05

Strange question, but are you right handed by any chance?

leobear Mon 22-Apr-13 14:59:31

I've always had this issue, but with my right boob. Have bfed both my baby daughters, I just offer both sides and accept that the left one gives more of the feed, iyswim.

harverina Mon 22-Apr-13 15:17:47

My left breast was the same, though not as quickly as 7 weeks. I am right handed and found it easier to feed on he right side and although I tried to use both breasts equally I think I used the right more especially when on public as it was soooo much easier.

Yes it is possibly to feed from one side but I would just make a conscious decision to try and use the left a bit more to stimulate it into supplying more.

minipie Mon 22-Apr-13 16:03:57

I don't know but my left boob is a bit rubbish too - less milk, slower let down and DD has a worse latch on it.

I exclusively expressed (on both sides at once) for the first 2-3 weeks as DD was in NICU, and was imbalanced even then, so I know it's not because of favouring one side over the other. in fact, my right boob leaked during pregnancy, left boob didn't. total mystery.

TwitchyTail Mon 22-Apr-13 16:12:32

My right boob is the rubbish one, very similar to how you describe it - I think it's at least partly related to the position I hold the baby in, which means the latch isn't as good on the right. Incidentally, DH calls my left boob "the connoisseur's choice" hmm

TwitchyTail Mon 22-Apr-13 16:13:24

^^ because of my baby's preference, not his, lest anyone be unnecessarily creeped out. He is entirely neutral on the matter.

LAF77 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:05:40

You aren't alone. My right side doesn't see any action these days. DS only feeds from the left side. I blame it on the position of my nipple which is quite offset as DS struggles to latch on well on this side.

I am quite lopsided between the 2, but still going at 13 months!

BedHanger Mon 22-Apr-13 18:51:30

Twitchy :D

BedHanger Mon 22-Apr-13 18:51:48

Sorry, :O

BedHanger Mon 22-Apr-13 18:52:44

Bloody hell grin

Grouchy newborn juggling...

Meringue33 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:55:04

Same here, no clue as to how to fix! I just try to keep using it as much as possible tho temptation is to abandon. Also I use it for comfort sucking when I know LO is upset but not v hungry. The letdown is so slow he often falls asleep at it, which is sometimes convenient smile

PoppyWearer Mon 22-Apr-13 18:56:50

My left one was useless. Inverted nipple made feeding that side with DC1 very painful and when I expressed I got much less milk out.

After I stopped bf'ing I got all kinds of mastitis and blocked ducts - all on the left.

With DC2 I nearly hit the ceiling with the pain and gave up feeding on the left altogether, my supply on the right was fine.

PoppyWearer Mon 22-Apr-13 18:58:00

I was lopsided whilst feeding, just used to wear a drapey scarf to hide it.

After feeding, they are the same size as each other. Right is a bit more saggy, if I'm honest.

violetta555 Mon 22-Apr-13 20:38:03

At 4 months DD suddenly started refusing my left breast - no idea why. I used it for her night feeds, when she was too sleepy to notice, and had to express a bit during the day to maintain supply. Several months on she still doesn't like it, but can be persuaded to feed from the left occasionally - not ideal though. I don't look too lopsided but feel it is inevitable sooner or later smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now