Talk

Advanced search

ok, start back at work in 3 weeks - how will it work ?

(9 Posts)
Thomcat Mon 15-May-06 22:46:29

Currently I breastfeed dd2, every feed bar the last one before bed at 7pm when she gets blasted with a full 200ml of as hot as she can take it formula. (Did this once and she went from 7pm to midnigh for first time and has done ever since).

So breastfeeds are:

midnight
4amish
7am ish
9am ish
midday
3.30ish
5ish
and then a bottle at 7 ish.

Am going back to work in 3 weeks.
Would like to breastfeed her still but don't want it to become hard work and get difficult and upsetting etc.

Is the only way to be able to give her the night and morning feeds to keep expressing while i am at work?

Can I just feed her during the night, first thing in the morning, when I get in and do formua inbetween. If I don't express every day at work will my supply dwindle and I find that I don't have enough to give her and she'll end up frustrated?

I'm happy for her to take a bit more formula but would like to keep doiong some breast if poss.

nicnack2 Tue 16-May-06 19:47:53

Hi Thomcat

I have ds who is 9 weeks also ds1 who is nearly 3. I have always mixed amd match breast with formula. Ds2 is now on breast in the morning, formula at 1130isham, breast 2pm and maybe 4ish then formula after bath then breast around 10ish so yeas it is possible and bobs compensate. DS1 stil had night feed at 8 month (if he fancied it) Dont worry you body wil response

lua Tue 16-May-06 21:30:54

Hi TC,

I have kept with bfing and FT work by expressing once during the day. When both my DC hit 10months though, I gave up the expressing and was no problem.
Was exploding though when picking up DC for the day, so ended up giving 3 feeeds a day (5ish, 7ish and morning) plus on demand on weekends. I think others manage to do the same earlier than 10 months, I guess it depends how well established your milk supply is? Either way at 6 months it should be established enought to try out a bit and build back by expressing if needed?!
HTH

hoxtonchick Tue 16-May-06 21:37:25

i went back to work when dd was 7.5 months tc, & i still bf her now (10.5 months). she has bottles when she's at nursery 2 days a week, & i bf her when she's with me. i wasn't sure it was going to work, but it does, really well. i haven't expressed at all. i'm a bit sore by the time i get home, but it's totally bearable.

hoxtonchick Tue 16-May-06 21:37:51

i went back to work when dd was 7.5 months tc, & i still bf her now (10.5 months). she has bottles when she's at nursery 2 days a week, & i bf her when she's with me. i wasn't sure it was going to work, but it does, really well. i haven't expressed at all. i'm a bit sore by the time i get home, but it's totally bearable.

hoxtonchick Tue 16-May-06 21:38:21

hoxtonchick Tue 16-May-06 21:38:58

Thomcat Tue 16-May-06 22:02:20

Cool, thanks for your replies. I'll just suck it and see then, hmmm probably not the best expression to use, lol, but you know what i mean!

Thomcat Tue 16-May-06 22:04:31

I'm really pleased it's worked so easily for you all and chuffed that it sounds like it'll work out that I can keep breastdeeding her. Yippee Can't believe i go back in 3 weeks though, gutted

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: