Talk

Advanced search

Does your milk "come in" in full force on the third day if you still have milk from feeding your previous dc?

(11 Posts)
Fakebook Sat 20-Apr-13 18:06:14

Sorry if the title doesn't make sense. I had a 4 year gap between my first 2 children so I hadn't breast fed for a good 3 years. When my milk came in, it really gushed where I was getting painful milk lumps under my armpits that only went away after 3-5 hours of hot compression with a wheat bag. My milk was spraying out so ds couldn't latch on properly the first few minutes that really made things difficult.

This time I'll have a 22 month age gap and I was still breast feeding my son at night up until last month.

So does anyone know if my milk supply will be calmer the third time with a shorter age gap between children? I've even been thinking of only breast feeding at night and bottle during the day to prevent a huge build up of milk. Not sure if this is a good idea though.

BedHanger Sat 20-Apr-13 18:09:02

I definitely noticed my milk coming in because I started crying for no bloody reason but I didn't get engorged or uncomfortable. It did seem a lot calmer.

How far along are you?

Fakebook Sat 20-Apr-13 18:40:23

Oh thats good BedHangar, just what I want to hear! I'm nearly 12 weeks so not far, but am far more worried about this baby and coping with a toddler as well, so am fretting about these things already!

leedy Sat 20-Apr-13 19:04:08

I stopped feeding DS1 while pregnant with DS2 and definitely got the engorged ouchy bosom thing on day 3, but it was probably a bit easier than the first time round and I didn't have the oversupply problem I had with my older son.

HorryIsUpduffed Sat 20-Apr-13 19:55:02

I had six or seven months between nurslings (DC1 weaned at about 9w pg with DC2) and still got the mad milk.

Am 11+ weeks now and DC2 is going strong. I don't know what would/will happen if he is still feeding when baby arrives - supply has dwindled and gone more colostrum-like so I daresay I would have Milk Hell Day regardless hmm

tutu100 Sat 20-Apr-13 19:58:08

I had nearly 3 years between breastfeeding my 2 (so not the close gap you've asked about), but 2nd time round it did not feel as bad my milk coming in. Not like with ds1 when I woke up looking like Dolly Parton and couldn't move my arms without crying. Infact with ds2 I didn't really notice my milk coming in.

TiredyCustards Sat 20-Apr-13 20:01:23

I think it was less with dc2, still feeding dc1. I do remember a couple of uncomfortable days but not as bad as dc1.

I wasn't half as leaky second time round either - hth!

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 21-Apr-13 08:28:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fakebook Sun 21-Apr-13 10:44:34

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to hear other people's experiences.

WouldBeHarriet, thanks for that link, there's some really good points in there that I will hopefully try. My DS slept 6 hours at a time the first 4-5 days and I didn't wake him up for a feed, so will be waking baby up for a feed this time and also, it says that warm compresses INCREASE swelling?! Argh! No wonder it took hours for the underarm lumps to go down! I figured I should give it heat to push the blocked milk down to the breasts! Another thing to keep in mind!

haloflo Sun 21-Apr-13 12:52:56

I have a 23 month gap and a 6 month gap between nurslings. My milk came in on day 3 but it wasn't as bad as with my first baby. My supply settled down after only a couple of weeks too whereas it too months with my first. All in all its been much easier and less messy than last time. I woke to feed during the day this time but let DD2 sleep when I could and didn't suffer too badly.

BedHanger Sun 21-Apr-13 15:00:20

Should have been clearer - I'm tandem feeding, so no gap between nurselings!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now