Talk

Advanced search

Making bottles - post 6 months

(7 Posts)
Sparklesandglitter Sat 20-Apr-13 06:47:23

Good morning! The way I have always made bottles is half the correct amount of cooled boiling water, then the powder then top up with half the water but cold boiled water so the bottle is the correct temp straight away but the powder is still "sterilised".
I have recently thought, now DD can have tap water in her beaker could I use cold tap water for the other half instead of cold boiled water? The powder would still go in boiling water and I measure the water separately, I don't just fill the bottle up as I am aware the 4oz is not actually 4oz if you know what I mean.

Anyway, any info much appreciated thanks smile

jumperooo Sat 20-Apr-13 06:51:28

The advice is that water should be at least 70 degrees when adding the formula, as the formula itself is not sterile so the water needs to be boiled to 70 degrees or more to kill any bacteria that may linger in the formula.

MortifiedAdams Sat 20-Apr-13 06:55:39

You should never use water that is lower than 70° as mentioned above. The fact that you boil the water then leave it to cool is pointless as our water doesnt need sterilising - the powder does.

jumperooo Sat 20-Apr-13 06:57:46

Sorry misread your original post! I see what you mean re the additional cold water, I would have thought it ok if the formula itself was definitely added to hot water first. I make mine up in one go from boiled water then flash cool in the sink and then refrigerate. When I need one I just take a bottle from the fridge and put in a jug of boiling water for 5 mins to warm it up.

Sparklesandglitter Sat 20-Apr-13 07:31:17

Yes the water is boiled then left to cool for the required time to 70degrees so the powder is sterilised once the powder mixed I top up with cold boiled water. I know this way is safe as HV ok'ed it when she was born my question is rather than using cold boiled water to top up can I use cold tap water now she is over 6 months

ChippingInLovesSpring Sat 20-Apr-13 07:48:30

Yes - what you have been doing is perfect and it is now (always was actually) fine to use tap water for the 'top up'. As you know, our tap water isn't the problem, it's the powder smile

Sparklesandglitter Sat 20-Apr-13 07:55:48

Thanks for that, I couldn't think of a reason why I couldn't use tap water but I just wanted to double check thank you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now