Talk

Advanced search

When did you start drinking?

(11 Posts)
lurcherlover Fri 19-Apr-13 17:41:03

I bf DS for 16 months and used to have a glass of wine on a Saturday night. I can't remember how old he was when I started this though. I've now had dd who is 8 days old. I had a small glass of champagne when we came home but nothing since - would I be better abstaining until she's a bit older or doesn't it matter as long as I stick to one glass a week? though am secretly hoping someone might tell me I can have a couple of glasses

AnythingNotEverything Fri 19-Apr-13 17:46:40

Really interested in what answers you get ... I read here recently that someone followed the drink drive rules, which sounds fair.

When ds was tiny I expressed as he wouldn't latch, so I'd just express and poor away a boozy bottle of milk. But that was after lore than a couple of glasses of wine.

Please don't call SS! Sounds awful written down shock

TiredyCustards Fri 19-Apr-13 17:52:18

1 unit takes 1 hour to leave your bloodstream, so it's really about how long between a drink and a feed you go.

I think both mine were about 2 months.

leedy Fri 19-Apr-13 17:53:56

Um, practically the moment I got home from hospital <bad mother emoticon>

If you're safe enough to drive you're definitely safe enough to feed, you would actually have to be so drunk someone was latching the baby to your unconscious form to get a truly dangerous amount of booze into your milk.

dyslexicdespot Fri 19-Apr-13 18:45:11

I followed the advice given to breastfeeding mothers in Sweden, as I am a Swede. They write that two small glasses of wine a night is perfectly fine to drink while BF.

The amount of alcohol that will get into your breast milk after drinking that amount is the same amount of alcohol that is in 2 deciliters of yogurt.

Cheers!

lurcherlover Fri 19-Apr-13 19:18:31

Really dyslexic? Cheers!! (literally!)

Lora1982 Sun 21-Apr-13 15:08:26

I think i waited til 2 months.... Celebrated my birthday with the tv and a vodka. Since then ive had the odd cider (the posh flavoured ones not white lightening) at 15weeks ive only just ventured out for a proper knees up he didnt seem drunk after i fed him at 8 when he woke up. But this isnt giving me the green light to get that drunk again every night

dietcokeandwine Sun 21-Apr-13 20:55:42

I am with leedy - pretty much from the day we got home! DS3 is now 12 weeks.

I stick to one glass of wine per evening - not every evening, obviously, but I don't restrict it to one night per week - one glass of wine on just one night a week sounds the height of abstemiousness to me grin I would say I now have a glass of wine on three/four nights out of seven. No blow-out nights out though, just a glass of wine with dinner and no spirits.

jaggythistle Sun 21-Apr-13 22:31:48

Bottle of bubbly was open the evening of the day DS2 was born, as I got I out of hospital in less than 12 hours. grin

I am drinking a bit less this time, only as he's much more rubbish at sleeping so I tend to pass out on the couch after half a glass.

Nicknamefail Sun 21-Apr-13 23:15:06

I have a couple of glasses when I want, and started the day after she was born. As long as you don't get drunk, all us good. Enjoy!

Nicknamefail Sun 21-Apr-13 23:16:44

IS good. I now feel the need to point out that I haven't had anything to drink tonight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now