Talk

Advanced search

Augmentin antibi while BFing?

(13 Posts)
mylittlepuds Thu 18-Apr-13 21:35:34

Oh I'm so angry. I specifically asked my GP if it was okay to take whilst BFing and he said it was. My DD has had an upset tummy tonight so I did a quick Google search and turns out the jury is out on whether it is safe. I just wondered if anyone else had taken it while BFing - it's for suspected UTI.

IsThatTrue Thu 18-Apr-13 21:37:25

No idea about bf but DS had iv augmentin at 9mo and didn't have adverse effects so maybe it is very case specific

noblegiraffe Thu 18-Apr-13 21:47:56

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/dibm/antibiotics_and_Breastfeeding_Jan_2013-%20wj.pdf

The breastfeeding network say it's safe, I'd go with what they say.

mylittlepuds Thu 18-Apr-13 22:05:02

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

Twattybollocks Fri 19-Apr-13 05:34:47

I've had it several times whilst feeding dd1. The upset tummy/wind is something I noticed too, a small amount will pass into the milk and upset the gut flora for a few days. Also look out for thrush, this has been my nemesis last time and this time, it's painful for both of you and it's bloody hard to get rid of, I've had about 3 weeks total in 11 weeks where I haven't been using Canesten on my nipples and daktarin in her mouth.

McBaby Fri 19-Apr-13 07:17:36

I have had it a few times for mastitis my LO has also had it for staph infections so figure it must be safe if prescribed for babies.

mylittlepuds Fri 19-Apr-13 07:38:14

So I should keep taking it? Was going to throw it in the bin last night! Just so worried about her as she's only 8 days old but I need to balance that against the UTI. So hard to know what to do for the best sad

noblegiraffe Fri 19-Apr-13 07:44:29

Yes you should absolutely keep taking it. You don't want the UTI to develop into a kidney infection and end up in hospital or anything like that! Your baby will be fine, my DS was pumped with really strong antibiotics for 5 days from 3 days old on top of me taking antibiotics for a UTI and is fine.

leedy Fri 19-Apr-13 08:27:12

Definitely keep taking it, I've been on it a few times while breastfeeding with no ill effects other than both of us being a bit farty, and any small risks are outweighed by the very large risk of you ending up with a bad infection, as noblegiraffe said.

Eat lots of live yoghurt and take probiotics (Udo's Choice Super 8 is really good) while you're on it to protect your tum and help avoid thrush.

mylittlepuds Fri 19-Apr-13 08:38:17

Thank you ladies! I've just called the GPs and my wee sample has come back no UTI...very strange as the pain in my bladder was awful. Perhaps everything constricting back into place after birth? Ooh I don't know. Have come to my senses though and will be taking anti bis should I need them again for mastitis or whatever - it's just initially upsetting to see them wriggling about when normally settled!

noblegiraffe Fri 19-Apr-13 08:44:43

Did you have a c-section? I had dreadful bladder pain after my ELCS but it also wasn't an infection. I think the bladder just got a bit bruised during the operation. It really really hurt after doing a wee for a few days, then gradually got better.

mylittlepuds Fri 19-Apr-13 09:35:12

No but a very bloody quick and painful labour!! So it could be precisely that. Thank you noble grin

Newmum2013 Fri 19-Apr-13 10:20:42

Ive been taking it for a week no and have not noticed any side effects in lo. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now