Talk

Advanced search

Weaning from breast to bottle

(3 Posts)
sezo Thu 18-Apr-13 21:13:03

I have a DD aged 6 months and I am desperate to now experience some freedom and am trying to wean her slowly from me to the bottle. I go back to work in 8 weeks.
I had difficulty getting on a bottle but eventually managed to get her to take expressed milk then formula from a bottle after some perseverance. For 10 days she was taking 7oz before bed time happily. After 10 days she suddenly decided this was not acceptable and now refuses to take a bottle. Doesn't matter what time of the day I try she just gets upset. She stopped around the time of getting top 2 front teeth but they are through now and she is still refusing. Any help gratefully received

ladycelestial Thu 18-Apr-13 21:38:44

Try offering a bottle at the feed that is your baby's least favourite. Is there someone else who can feed her from the bottle? She associates you with the breast, so will be expecting a breastfeed from you. It's worth trying a different brand of bottle and different teats, to see if you can find one she likes.

At six months she'll be having some solid food, so you can give her a drink from a feeder cup instead of a bottle. You're going back to work when she's eight months, so by then she could be having say a breastfeed in the morning, before you go to work, solid food and drinks from a cup during the day, and a breastfeed from you in the evening. This is a back up plan if you can't get her onto regular bottle feeds. It's important for you both not to get stressed over this.

sezo Fri 19-Apr-13 21:05:43

Thanks for your tips. Will definitely give them all a go, really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now