Talk

Advanced search

Bf DC2 with a 2.5yo DD

(6 Posts)
HumptyDumpty2 Thu 18-Apr-13 10:50:20

I'm 29 weeks with DC2, my DD will be around 2.5 when give birth. I bf dd and will bf dc2 but I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or previous experiences that would be helpful in the prep for this?

Next door have just given birth and is bf but saying its extremely difficult with their 2yo and considering giving up as they just can't find the time for both..

I'd like to be prepared, I know it will be more difficult than last time with another to occupy and don't want to feel like I have to stop

Tia!

MyNameIsAnAnagram Thu 18-Apr-13 11:04:33

Watching with interest as I am 36wks and DS is 2.6 smile

eyeskeepclosing Thu 18-Apr-13 11:15:55

My DD1 was also exactly 2.6 when DD2 was born. And honestly for the first month or so cbeebies and various disney films were how DD1 was entertained while I (continually) breastfed DD2. Unless of course she was happy playing herself with some of the many presents, colouring books etc she received from friends and family when DD2 arrived. I ebf DD2 for 6 months and continued until 16 months so it is possible, just more challenging than first time round.

Nicolaeus Thu 18-Apr-13 11:24:38

My mum always said it was easier to bf me (DC2) than bottle cos when my DB needed her she could just put me down for a bit then pick me up when she'd dealt with DB, without faffing about milk temps/bottle sterilising etc. I didn't cry just cooed hmm

I have bf DS and he most definitely did not just coo if ever a feed was interrupted! So am apprehensive about DC2 (but before need to work out how to stop 18 month old DS from bf....would prefer him to self wean but he shows no signs yet)

lazzaroo Thu 18-Apr-13 11:32:57

IT is hard but not impossible. My dd1 was 3 when dd2 born. I felt very guilty over those first few weeks. But it has settled down. Don't feel guilt about letting them watch tv while you feed but also there's lots you can do with one hand. Ask them to choose a book to look at with you or if, like mine, she's into pretend play I set her on a mission in her pretend kitchen...getting mummy a drink etc. She also has lots of her own baby's that she looks after while I am sorting dd2. I was a bit taken aback when I first caught her lifting her top to give her dolly 'booby milk'! But it's quite sweet really!

I have just found involving her as much as possible really helped, pass me a muslin cloth, cushion etc let's get nappy change stuff ready together etc

And don't be disheartened in those moments when dd1 doesn't want you to feed & wants you to herself instead. This has happened, but not very often.

People are often very thoughtful with presents etc too and will make a big fuss of the new big sister. That helps. Good luck and try to enjoy!

HumptyDumpty2 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:10:56

Thank you they were helpful! Dd does love books and she has a few favourite films but she doesn't sit long enough to watch all of one! I'll deffo get some new books and sticker books so she wants to look at them and look for some one handed things to do with her. She fed ALL the time as a baby (nothing has changed she's still a gannet!) so I'm expecting to have dd2 pretty much on all the time. Hopefully having net door with similar age children will mean popping round on an afternoon will give her chance to do something else and play smile

Think I'm having the panic stage of pregnancy hahaha..!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now