Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How many breast feeds a day at 10 months?

(12 Posts)
Teatimecakes Wed 17-Apr-13 22:31:24

Just that really... I'm back to work full time when DS will be 10 months. Obviously he'll be on a good amount of solids by then. Roughly How many bottles of expressed milk will the childminder need?

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 17-Apr-13 22:35:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Teatimecakes Wed 17-Apr-13 22:38:08

Thank you

happyfrogger Wed 17-Apr-13 22:50:13

How old is he now and how many feeds is he on?

We are just 12 months now. I returned to work when she was 10.5 months and by then we'd only just managed to drop all the day time milk feeds, so we did a milk on wake up and milk at bedtime (+ 3 solids and 2 snacks, + water all day long). This luckily works around the office.

I'd have found it tricky to drop the 3pm milk feed any earlier, and she's a good eater on solids. (Plus I gave up expressing at about 5 months as it was just too much like hard work for me!!)

If you think DS will be ready, give it a go skipping it for a few days and replacing with a snack and see how he goes - he'll soon enough tell you if he's unhappy about the situation smile. If it's too soon, give him the expressed bottle and see how he gets on, he'll have it if he needs it, even if you get a few days of protesting! Your dilemma may be whether to try and offer it in a bottle or cup at 10 months. It's only now at 12 months my DD is getting much better at the cup, I could never have got her onto milk in a bottle, but perhaps you are already having regular success with expressed in a bottle?

Good luck going back to work!

Teatimecakes Wed 17-Apr-13 23:00:07

Thanks smile he's currently 6 months and is LOVING having some real food now! He still feeds around every 4 hours, including thru the night sad but I've noticed him 'asking' for fewer feeds in the day since he's been having some solids - I think he'd go longer than 4 hours tbh. Nights are a different story thou. He knows he wants it then! I think I'm offering him a feed out of my habit rather than his!!

He has had expressed milk in a bottle from 2 weeks old and has no issue switching between the two and already has the sippy cup sussed and loves his water smile

happyfrogger Wed 17-Apr-13 23:11:48

Sounds like you're onto a winner! I found so much changed between 6 and 10 months so just take it a month at a time but it sounds like he'll be pretty versatile smile

Even if he's still a big milk fan when you are back to work I'd be surprised if you needed to leave more than 2 expressed feeds (mid morning and mid afternoon) by about 10 months.

But you know, they're all different 'n' all that!

KatAndKit Wed 17-Apr-13 23:28:51

At 10 months I was down to 4 most days and perhaps 1 in the night too. The first thing and last thing feeds were the biggest, which is ideal when you are going back to work. I would expect that when you are back at work you would need to leave milk for about 10am and about 3pm (assuming breakfast and lunch are fairly substantial by that point). They are all different though so just see how you are doing at 9 months and take it from there.

Teatimecakes Wed 17-Apr-13 23:40:40

Thanks for your replies. I'm just stressing at the thought of leaving him. Expressing is such hard work - don't think I could cope with expressing more than 2 feeds. But don't want to give formula as we've come so far with bf ing. I said I'd do the first year and I'm determined to keep going! Not looking forward to stopping at that point either sad

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 18-Apr-13 00:06:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatAndKit Thu 18-Apr-13 16:14:14

You don't have to stop when he turns one if you don't want to. I have just reached the 12 month point and am still going. I am trying to cut it down by introducing snacks and cows milk in a cup, but am definitely keeping morning and night feeds for the next few months. BF snuggles are a nice way to start your day and well, when I find some other way to get my little monkey to sleep at night I might stop, but until then the thought of bedtime without breastfeeding fills me with horror!

Teatimecakes Thu 18-Apr-13 23:22:51

Thanks - am feeling under a little pressure from non- bf ing mums who have stopped before 6 months- get your body back, he'll be more independent, you've don't 'your bit now'... Kind of comments. I love feeding DS but am planning on ttc dc2 after his 1st birthday and am not logo g the idea of feeding while pregnant...

cassell Thu 18-Apr-13 23:32:20

I'm settling ds2 (11mo) at nursery at the moment and although when he's with me he'll bf little and often (at least every 2hrs) I'm only providing mid morning and mid afternoon feed of expressed milk and so far he has refused the majority of it and made up for it when he sees me. so what he has usually may not be what he has at cm if that makes sense

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now