Talk

Advanced search

Hungry baby

(9 Posts)
Geoffsmum Wed 17-Apr-13 13:35:01

I was unable to breast feed so my baby was started on formula. He just seems to be really hungry and is taking 3oz every 2-3 hours, and sometimes needs a little extra. I know this is too much for his age but he is crying in hunger. Otherwise he is passing urine, stools and is winding really well. Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

MajaBiene Wed 17-Apr-13 13:36:07

Why do you think it is too much?

nancerama Wed 17-Apr-13 13:38:18

If you were breast feeding you would have no idea how much your baby was taking in. Use the same principal for bottle feeding. Every child is different - they are all born at different sizes and will have different needs accordingly. If you think he's hungry either feed him more frequently or up the amount of milk in the bottle.

Geoffsmum Wed 17-Apr-13 13:41:57

The guidelines are 6 feeds of 3 oz and he is having at least 8 feeds if not more. He doesn't really seem satisfied afterwards either.

MajaBiene Wed 17-Apr-13 13:44:44

The guidelines are only an average baby though - some will have more, some less.

Does he have a dummy? Babies need to suckle, and breastfed baby can comfort suck at the breast. You might just have a very sucky baby who wants to suckle but doesn't necessarily need more milk.

How much does he weigh?

nancerama Wed 17-Apr-13 13:47:27

He's a hungry boy with a good appetite. I would offer him more if that's what he wants. Are you and/or your partner tall? If so, your baby may well be following in your footsteps and is growing faster than average. Remember the guidelines are for average babies - some will consume far more and others much less.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 17-Apr-13 13:49:36

His stomach only holds a certain amount f milk, and then it drains and needs refilling. He would sick up any excess.

I'm not sure it's possible to really over feed a baby, and as pps have sad, if you were bf you wouldn't know.

I wouldn't worry as log as he's gaining weight steadily.

MajaBiene Wed 17-Apr-13 13:51:29

It is very possible to overfeed a baby, it's one of the risks of bottle feeding and why it is important to feed to the baby's appetite, feed slowly with lots of breaks, give other opportunities to suckle, and not try to encourage babies to drain bottles.

Geoffsmum Wed 17-Apr-13 13:57:09

Thanks everyone. He was 7.1lb and due to be weighed today (10 days old). I give I'm regular breaks to burp and he does only take bottle if he is hungry (most of time). I haven't given a dummy as yet as was trying to avoid it but may reconsider. He has got quite big feet and is quite long so probably will be tall. It's such a minefield, I just want to do the right thing by him and seeing him cry in hunger is heartbreaking. I will try and go with what he is telling me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now