Talk

Advanced search

Very windy 2 week old - oversupply/forceful letdown?

(5 Posts)
SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 17-Apr-13 13:05:37

Hi,

DS is 2 weeks and is becoming increasingly screamy/crying after feeds. He is ebf. Putting on weight very well so that's not an issue, but after every feed he is in obvious pain and crying. It takes a lot of winding, upright cuddling and soothing to calm him down, and am having to resort to dummy as sucking seems to be the only thing that helps.
I'm pretty sure I have an oversupply and/or a foremilk / hindmilk imbalance. How can I rectify this? I haven't expressed as I don't want to make my supply even worse, but I really want to help DS.

He did have a TT which was snipped 10 days ago. It seemed to get infected so he had 3 days of ABs which were stopped on Sunday.

I would be really grateful for some advice as its heartbreaking to watch him scream and suffer after every feed.

Thanks.

tiktok Wed 17-Apr-13 13:12:39

Check out over-supply, SayCool - there is an easy technique called block nursing you could try. Call a bf helpline and talk about it.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 17-Apr-13 13:35:50

Thanks tiktok. I have been trying block nursing but it doesn't seem to have made much difference yet - been doing it for the last couple of days. Can I ask - can I express from the other side as it has naturally been getting quite painful and engorged? I'm so confused!

None of the helplines are answering at the moment... sad

tiktok Wed 17-Apr-13 13:46:32

Normally takes a few days to notice an effect.

yes, gently hand-express to relieve engorgement.

Gurke Wed 17-Apr-13 13:50:11

Also had this with my DS, was all part of the package of symptoms that were eventually diagnosed as silent reflux. Block feeding really helped: before that he was choking & spluttering within seconds; after a few days of block feeding this wasn't an issue anymore. Perhaps try to increase the time/ number of feeds you offer the same breast for?

Btw, I was advised to pump a little before the feed & offer that breast: disastrous advice, as it made the letdown even more forceful.

I would definitely pump the side you are not using while block feeding; you don't want to get blocked ducts!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now