Talk

Advanced search

Silent reflux or normal newborn behaviour? Please help

(12 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Tue 16-Apr-13 00:24:42

I am getting a bit desperate but don't want to presume this is neck anything more than normal newborn behaviour.

Typing fast as she will wake any second!!

DD is five weeks. She hates being put on her back to sleep and during nappy changes she is only ok on her back for a but nd then at I thought was wind kicks in and she starts to cry. Tbf I can usually feel wind then when I pick her up.

She is very windy and takes literally hours to burp after each feed.

She has hiccups at least once a day, usually after going on her back for a nappy change.

She only brings up small amounts of milk though apart from one or two occasions when we bathed her too soon after a feed nd she brought up an entire feed.

She seems to wake 'coughing' in the night, I hear her kind of cough/spluttering for a few mins before she actually wakes.

She occasionally has nights like tonight when only a dummy will settle her and when there is no wind still coming out.

She is FF btw, never managed to bf her, my flat nipples were big issue.

We have been sleeping her on her side as she seems to really not like lying on her back. But I am concerned about this for safety.

She barely sleeps during the day, feeds and 'burping' take so long nd then she will not really settle though she does have very happy periods of half n hour at a time. She WILL sometimes lie on her back happily in pram, it is not always a problem.

I thought it was just wind/colic. I have nothing to compare it to. But it is miserable as she sleeps so little and sometimes is just in pain on and off all day.

Legs go rigid but I thought that was just wind?

Can anyone help at all? Going to GP tomorrow for unrelated reason, should I mention this or is it just typical newborn?

I can't bear the thought of her being in pain and me just presuming it is wind. Otoh I don't want to over diagnose!!!

chloeb2002 Tue 16-Apr-13 02:00:23

Feeling for you! Sorry I don't know much about ff but current ds is ( weeks .. Bf but a lot of expressed bottle feeds as he has a poor suck. I occasionally have had to top up with ff. I find he is much more gripey after ff than bf. I was told this can be due to lots if reasons and primarily an immature gut that will just take time to adjust.

sar1133 Tue 16-Apr-13 14:48:43

My baby is displaying some of these symptoms too. He also is 5 weeks old although he was born 7 weeks early. I've got a scbu nurse coming for a check up so ill ask her x

katiecubs Thu 18-Apr-13 09:44:38

I think to extent it sounds quite normal. New babies find farting, burping, pooing etc very upsetting experiences!

Both mine were pretty much like you describe but once you get to the magic 3 month mark you should see a big improvement. Saying that though I did go to the doctor with DS1 and he was on infant Gaviscon for a while which seemed to make him a bit more comfortable when feeding. Maybe ask about that?

StormyBrid Thu 18-Apr-13 09:54:30

Sounds very familiar. DD is six weeks and just the same aside from the lying flat - initially she hated it and fussed a lot, but raising the end of the Moses basket with a towel underneath helped, and she's now fine being flat. As for the burping, try lots of different methods as well as the standard over-the-shoulder. Sit baby down, hold under armpits and rotate baby as though hula dancing - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but DD seems to enjoy it. Most successful we've found is baby sitting and leaning back facing me, supported by left hand around her shoulders, and pat her back on the right side. Good luck!

BadgerFace Fri 19-Apr-13 15:59:54

Infacol or Gripe Water might help as well. The former worked on my DD although not the latter as much but others have said it worked well on their babies.

BedHanger Fri 19-Apr-13 16:06:22

Don't forget that six weeks is when normal newborn fussiness peaks - in all likelihood you are reaching the worst period!

My DS2 is nearly seven weeks old and tbh, after trying everything under the sun last time I'm not bothering winding or anything like that. I just carry him in a sling all the time, cos he screams if I put him down.

Hard when you're in the midst of it, but it does pass, promise!!

CrazyOldCatLady Fri 19-Apr-13 16:14:21

It does sound very like silent reflux to me, and I've had two refluxers. Please don't use Infacol, it makes reflux worse. And don't ignore it, there's no need for her to be in unnecessary pain and you to be stressed. Talk to your GP about it. In all likelihood they'll recommend that you try infant Gaviscon, which may well be enough to fix it; if not, there are other options to make her more comfortable.

CrazyOldCatLady Fri 19-Apr-13 16:16:17

katiecubs, sorry, missed your post but have to jump in now that I've seen it. No, it's not normal for newborns to find all that stuff distressing. Neither of mine did once their reflux was properly managed.

katiecubs Sat 20-Apr-13 10:01:28

Sorry but I disagree - in the early days I think almost everything is distressing to a newborn!

Clarella Fri 03-May-13 21:31:23

we are at 21 weeks and finally starting to think it's been reflux all along. however, my lo was also found to have had a mild tongue tie which made latch and dealing with let down harder (.bf) and swallowing lots of air effectively caused reflux too. we had it snapped at 14 weeks. things improved from the burping/ wind aspect but he's still experiencing pain after/ during some feeds and frequently at night. sleeping on a pillow (bad mummy but we are desperate) and gavisgon helped a little so now moving on to other meds. very few doctors can find tongue tie but it's worth asking for a referral as it can make a huuuge difference to breast feeding. (not sure about bottles).

easiest snip in the world - wish they still checked and did as a matter of course as would enable so many more babies to be breast fed. it's not done routinely in hospital and very few people are qualified to diagnose. a la leche league leader who is a lactation consultant might, a pead consultant but few hvs, mws or doctors know.

see unicef web page re tongue tie and Google 'analytic armadillo breastfeeding tongue tie' for UK consultants and more info.

essentially though if gavisgon helps great, and can mean that other meds are tried.

all the best and keep speaking to gp

Clarella Fri 03-May-13 21:31:58

-snipped - at 14 wks !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now