Talk

Advanced search

10 month old has started refusing bedtime feed, what should I do?

(4 Posts)
Cydonia Mon 15-Apr-13 19:29:56

Hi, DS is 10 1/2 months old and was having 4 milk feeds a day. I'm starting to wean him off breastfeeding so he would normally have BF first thing, then formula about 10.30am, either BF or FF about 4pm and a BF before bed.

The last 2 nights he's refused his bedtime BF. Not in an upset way, just not interested and wanting to roll about on the bed. So I just put him to bed and he's gone to sleep fine and not woken in the night hungry ( well, he didn't last night, tonight may be different.)

My plan with stopping BFing was to gradually swap the other feeds for bottles and leave the bedtime one til last as I thought that was the one he 'needed' the most. So now I don't know what to do! Should I cut out the 4pm one altogether as he never seems that bothered? Or just go with him and stop the bedtime one? I'm just a bit worried about him not getting enough milk as he has a dairy allergy so I can't supplement him with cheese etc.

Has anyone else had a similar situation around this age? I know I'm probably over thinking things and should just go with the flow, but he's only fairly recently started sleeping through so I don't want him to start waking in the night again!

He has his tea about 5.30-6pm and would have his bedtime BF about 7pm. I don't think he's suddenly eating more, though I may be increasing his food intake without realising as he has a good appetite!

Lurksome Mon 15-Apr-13 20:11:20

My boy is the same age. Since he was around 8 months, he feeds 3 times in 24 hours: 7am, lunchtime, 7pm. I would definitely drop the 4pm feed. My plan is to drop the middle feed around 1 year and keep morning/night feeds until he self weans. (I can't think of anything worse than making up bottles in the middle of the night!).

Also, he seems to have had a drop in appetite recently- could that be it?

BUT why are you weaning onto the bottle?!! You will just have to wean him off again. Can you give milk in a cup confused

Cydonia Mon 15-Apr-13 21:26:23

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll try dropping the 4pm feed and see what happens. Thinking about it, some days he does only have 3 feeds depending on what we're doing and when he naps.

He only has bottles because he had one or two bottles of EBM a week from about 4 months as I couldn't leave him for longer than an hour without him getting hungry! He sometimes has milk in a soft spout cup but he seems to struggle with it. I thought about trying it in his tommee tippee cups as he drinks water ok from them, but I'm worried he won't drink enough. This is what it all boils down to I think, how much milk are they supposed to have at this age?!

Lurksome Wed 17-Apr-13 22:52:28

I know what you mean about the amount of milk. I sometimes worry. But they are almost a year old. In a few weeks they are supposed to be mainly on solids anyway, so as long as we give a balanced diet and morning/ evening milk (whether cow or breast plus maybe some protein in the day, I think we're on the right path :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now