Talk

Advanced search

persuading my 3 week old to open wide

(6 Posts)
talulahbeige Mon 15-Apr-13 17:45:31

I've been bf my newborn but really struggle to get her to open wide.
Nipple tickling chin doesn't do much.
Does anyone have any tips to help me get her to open wide everytime rather than just when she is really egar to feed. I think she is lazy

50shadesofbrown Mon 15-Apr-13 18:55:43

My Dd was just the same. Are you getting her head tipped right back before bringing the mouth towards the nipple?

Recommend you ask about a feeding clinic at your local hospital or Children's Centre.

50shadesofbrown Mon 15-Apr-13 19:00:36

Just realised you said 'nipple tickling chin' I'm sure it's supposed to be the top lip, almost to the tip of the nose. If you have your 'Birth to Five' ie the green A4 book the HV gave you, look at pages 6-8.

plannedshock Tue 16-Apr-13 00:45:51

I'm sure it should be nipple touch to the upper lip or nose then literally as soon as the mouth is open bring the head to boob, sit straight, the nipple should be aimed at the roof of the mouth. Good luck x

birdandbee Tue 16-Apr-13 00:54:34

I support BF-ing mothers... It's nose to nipple . I reckon nose to chin that you have been doing probably is why it's not going so well.

Contact your Health Visitor or local Bf-ing supporter for some help positioning and getting baby latched on. Best of luck!

chloeb2002 Tue 16-Apr-13 01:55:50

I was also encouraged by lactation consultant to get a good gape by nipple running down bubs chin. It's a reflex to get them to open I believe. Then nose to nipple for latch once mouth is open ... Kind of... Run
Nipple down the chin.. Then as mouth opens nipple up and into the mouth..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now