Talk

Advanced search

Making up formula with 70 deg + water makes the spoon all claggy

(9 Posts)
tedmundo Mon 15-Apr-13 17:41:39

I am mixed feeding. I am making up the formula bottles as per the DoH instructions.

Is anyone else experiencing the problem of formula getting damp on the spoon from the steam from the water? This is really starting to worry me as each spoonful is slightly short of the correct amount. I understand that it is quite important to get the mix right.

Also, the heat from the water creates pressure when I screw the lid on, meaning hot formula seeps out from the seal.

I never had these problems when I followed the old guidelines with ds2! Then I just used cooled, freshly boiled water .. Simple!

Any tips, oh wise ladies of MN?

mumof2aimingfor4 Mon 15-Apr-13 17:43:22

I used to measure into a little pot then tip that in in one go.

DribbleWiper Mon 15-Apr-13 20:22:43

I have to say I've never had a problem with the steam. If you tap the plastic spoon on the side of the bottle, I've always found that gets most of it in - there is always some residue on the bottom of the spoon, but if you just add a little bit more in, that should compensate. The steam shouldn't have time to make that much difference.

Re the pressure, which bottles are you using? I use the Philips Avent ones and have never had a problem with hot formula seeping out when shaking with the lid on. This sounds patronising, but have you definitely put the bottle together correctly? The first time I did it, I forgot to put in the little ring that keeps the seal tight. Also, try screwing on the lid slightly less tightly.

Thingiebob Mon 15-Apr-13 20:25:56

I had this problem. Measure it into another container first. Then pour the whole lot into the hot water.

MajaBiene Mon 15-Apr-13 20:26:02

Measure all the powder in first, then measure the water in another bottle and pour in.

Or, measure the powder into a little pot and tip into the bottle.

I haven't had a problem with the seal with Tommee Tippee bottles.

Parietal Mon 15-Apr-13 20:36:26

I did it once with spoon + bottle on digital scales, then remembered weight. Did all by weight after that - more accurate & easier. Can do water by weight too after powder (1ml = 1g)

CoolaSchmoola Mon 15-Apr-13 20:45:52

I just kept the scoops after the tub was empty and if it got claggy I used a clean one.

tedmundo Tue 16-Apr-13 11:09:43

Thanks for the tips. Will give some of them a go.

RubyCabernet Tue 16-Apr-13 14:42:03

I wash the spoon after every use so it doesn't get too crusty, I have a few on the go kept from old tubs. I too started with steamy exploding bottles! This is my routine: Make sure the top is screwed on really tight so it doesn't leak, shake, then unscrew to release the pressure. Repeat. Bit of a pain but I've not been scolded since. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now