Talk

Advanced search

Any experiences of stopping breastfeeding at 6 months with a baby that refuses the bottle?

(2 Posts)
MayimBialik Mon 15-Apr-13 11:13:19

Just that really?

DS is currently 5 months. The few times we have tried him with a bottle he has point blank refused it. I would like to stop breastfeeding at 6 months for various reasons but have no idea how to go about it.

He hasn't yet started on solids. Going to start him with a bit of baby rice next week and then some purées. Ideally I'd like to gradually wean him off the breast so that by 7 months he's not BFing at all. How on earth am I going to go about it? confused

rowrowrowtheboat Mon 15-Apr-13 13:18:27

My DD1 refused the bottle and never drank from one. At six months or so, she had water from a tommy tippee cup and we didn't bother trying with bottles at all. We also used the doidy cups with much success. Sometimes it takes them a little while to drink from something else, so persevere. Doidy cups may be a bit messy, but some milk will go in.

Don't bother with the bottle but try a couple of different cups like the doidy or tippee, and introduce the cup at the feed you are likely to drop first, the mid morning one. If not much shaken, you've got time to catch up with later feeds.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now