Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding during pregnancy

(10 Posts)
Goodkingwalkingslass Sun 14-Apr-13 19:55:53

Am just looking for any advice or info really.

Breastfeeding 9mo Ds and just found out I'm pregnant. Very pleased as thought it might take a while because of the bf.

Will bf carry on as normal even with pregnancy? Anything I should be aware of? Was planning on letting Ds self wean. Is that realistic do you think? He will be around 17mo when dc2 arrives all being well.

Tia!

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 14-Apr-13 20:15:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 14-Apr-13 20:16:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oodsigma Sun 14-Apr-13 20:17:18

I've just had dc4 and fed through pg. I found the milk changes taste early on and supply dipped but dd3 powered through. At 6 months ish it changed to c

Oodsigma Sun 14-Apr-13 20:20:01

Sorry currently feeding both!

Changes to colostrum at 6m pg ish and she powered through.
I found it useful when ds was born as she could deal with enforcement & I've not had the same oversupply issues but she has asked for a lot more than pre-ds.

Check out 'Advebtures in tandem feeding'

poocatcherchampion Sun 14-Apr-13 20:22:03

we are! I'm 19 weeks now and we will have the same gap as you roughly. (and I'm currently feeding as I type.) latch on kills for about 3 seconds but otherwise no complaints so I guess supply and taste is still acceptable.

the only thing I'm finding is people all assuming I'm going to wean her before the next comes. I'm going g to let her self wean whenever she wants to and so just give a nice vague smile or tell them that.

hope it goes well for you!

Robbabank Sun 14-Apr-13 20:33:20

Hi there - congrats on your pregnancy! I was just about to post re. KellyMom and the Adventures in Tandem Feeding book, but looks like everyone's got there before me! I would second the advice you've had so far. I bf through my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies without any major probs. Milk seemed to change and supply dipped at about 6-8months and then 8-9 months and after they start loving it again as I think it gets all rich and creamy again grin My 1st DD self weaned at about 3.5 yrs when her sister was 1.5.
The 2nd DD still likes to bf when she can, usually in the morning and (if she's lucky) in the evening but not usually twice in one day unless she's sick/upset or lucky enough to get a look in. She is 3.5 now, and 3rd DC is 8mo. The Tandem Feeding book is very helpful on what to expect, and how to deal with lots of possible issues, including feeling exhausted and 'touched out' but not wanting to wean early. A bit American in style, but still worth getting if you can.
I found it great on many levels. Nice for the children to still be able to bf in toddlerhood, especially when they were ill and unable to eat properly or upset. Also, as I had painful engorgement for a long time after the 1st was born, it was great that my boobs had been kept in action (sorry, what a bad way of putting it!) and so I didn't have to go through all that again. Also helped keep supply up etc when newborns came. I would just make sure that the newborn always fed first and had had enough before the other nursling had their turn. And feeding both at the same time is lovely, for them and for you. Doesn't suit everyone but I did/do it from time to time and it's an amazing feeling. Good luck!

Oodsigma Sun 14-Apr-13 21:15:57

Warning- I kept getting questioned ( curiously rather than judgingly) by MWs as they don't come across it much now and the community one brought a student for me to tell about tandem feeding!

midori1999 Sun 14-Apr-13 21:47:13

I see your questions have been answered. I just wanted to say that I'm still breastfeeding and am 14 weeks pregnant. Other than my midwife at booking who commented about DD's age (22 months) then backtracked when I quoted the WHO guidelines at her, not one health professional has batted an eye when I've mentioned I'm BF DD and my pregnancy is classed as high risk. In fact, although they haven't said as much, I got the impression they were quite supportive and I've seen several obs/midwives/consultants that aren't obs but are on my team with them.

Goodkingwalkingslass Sun 14-Apr-13 21:55:26

Thanks for that everyone, don't know why I hadn't thought to check out kellymom and LLL, will look at the links now. Had heard of the adventures in tandem feeding book and wondered if any good so will get that ordered. I hadn't thought about other people's reactions yet although again I don't know why not, some people can't believe I didn't get Ds onto a bottle as soon as he hit 6 months! I won't even repeat what my mil thinks of bf babies older than 12 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now