Talk

Advanced search

Getting DS off comfort milk....when and how?

(2 Posts)
DangerMousey Sun 14-Apr-13 19:19:16

4mo DS1 is FF and has been on Aptamil comfort milk since he was 1mo due to colic and trouble with wind. He used to scream his head off during feeds, writhing around in agony until he passed a little fart, bless him.

Anyway, over the last 3-4 weeks or so, his colicky symptoms have gradually reduced and have now totally disappeared. He brings up his wind easily now, poops with no trouble and is generally a much happier baby smile

As such, I am keen to get him off the comfort milk and back onto Aptamil first milk - because the powder is cheaper and because we're going on holiday abroad in June and I would really like to be able to use the convenient cartons of ready made milk for the flights.

Anyone got any tips on how/when to make the switch? Should I do it now, or wait until he's closer to 5mo? Should I go cold turkey and just change one day, or introduce it on one feed a day and then gradually up-it?

Should I be worried about DS not liking the taste of normal milk, now he has been on comfort milk so long? (we had no probs when we put him onto the Comfort milk but that may be cos he was so small, and had lost loads of weight and would have eaten anything! Have a feeling he might be more fussy now...).

Thanks!

Twattybollocks Sun 14-Apr-13 19:27:19

I don't think you will have any probs with the taste, the comfort milk is vile, ime all babies prefer the ordinary stuff.
I would try one carton a day and monitor any changes in poo, wind etc, and if ok, after a few days try two cartons. He may have a slightly upset tummy as he adjusts so you need to give it a few days to see if it's the milk or just the change that's the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now