Talk

Advanced search

mastitis - but I can't find the lump? help!

(18 Posts)
minipie Sat 13-Apr-13 23:10:03

I've got mastitis. boob is painful and hot and has red patch, plus I feel like I have flu (shivers etc). BUT I can't find the blockage?

I've had two blocked ducts recently and both times was able to find an obvious big lump and massage out the blockage before it turned into mastitis.

this time though I can't find any big lump, just some pea sized lumps under my armpit but they seem more like glands than milk ducts iyswim.

I've started antibiotics so that should deal with the infection, but what happens if I can't find and clear the blockage? will the mastitis just keep coming back?

and why do I keep getting these blockages dammit... sad

any advice appreciated.

nametakenagain Sat 13-Apr-13 23:21:46

I couldn't find anything but generalised hard area. Managed by getting dc to drink. It hurt a lot but didn't last more than 36 hours. I think I let it happen by not giving poor boob enough space to relax and get comfortable before letting dc latch on. Maybe

McBaby Sun 14-Apr-13 05:41:40

I have had it three times. Once I couldn't feel lump and found it after a week it was underneath breast deep in the tissue. To their time I never felt it but I had an ultra sound to locate and drain and inch lump!

I would just massage breast and feed every. 2-3 hours to keep breast clear of milk untill you are clear of all symptoms.

Lora1982 Sun 14-Apr-13 06:20:07

Someone recommended lecigram to me for blocked ducks. You mix it into porridge o

Lora1982 Sun 14-Apr-13 06:23:06

(oops) or yoghurt. Its meant to help anyway. When i got mastitis i couldnt get any milk out at all and ended up with an abcess, which was beyond crap, touch wood ive been ok since.

The lumps in your armpit could be it because breast tissue goes up into your armpit doesnt it?

noblegiraffe Sun 14-Apr-13 08:16:52

I don't know about mastitis, but a too tight bra, or sleeping on your side or front so that you are leaning on your boob can cause blockages. A milk blister on your nipple can also do it - milk can't get out past the bleb so backs up.

minipie Sun 14-Apr-13 08:18:58

thanks everyone. I think there is something deep under my breast actually, where the crease is, not exactly a lump but it's jolly sore there. will keep feeding and look into lecigram. thanks.

don't like the sound of abcess... poor you Lora

minipie Sun 14-Apr-13 08:20:03

mm noble, I have a scabby nipple (from clearing a previous milk bleb), I wonder if that could do it?

noblegiraffe Sun 14-Apr-13 08:31:49

Hmm, it's possible, if the scab means that milk can't come out. I'd try getting rid of the lump without picking the scab if you can!

Do you have a problem with milk blisters? They can be the sign of a poor latch. I found I got them regularly when feeding lying down as the latch wasn't was good.

minipie Sun 14-Apr-13 09:37:35

no, that's the only one I've had and I'm not sure it was even a proper blister. I do have permanently scabby/dry patches on the ends of my nipples though. DD's latch isn't ideal but think that is due to high palate and lip tie (and posterior TT which has been snipped) so not much I can do about it I think. never been able to feed lying down!

will leave the scab alone!

antibiotics have kicked in now and I'm feeling much more human.

stella10 Sun 14-Apr-13 10:27:37

Also I would feed as much as u can with no bra on at all just to make sure no area being blocked or restricted

minipie Sun 14-Apr-13 19:10:51

ok this is odd.

when I am feeding, the whole right hand side of my right breast (the affected one) feels sort of 'stringy', like there are lots of little lumps and tendons inside. never had that before so it must be connected to the mastitis. also milk production seems to have dropped a lot sad.

what can I do? will massage help with this stringiness? boob is not sore except after I massage it.

McBaby Sun 14-Apr-13 20:12:14

Milk production can drop massively due to mastitis as the lump sends the same signals as engorgement. Applying heat can help ease the breast and help the milk flow before feedi g expressing.

SpottyTeacakes Sun 14-Apr-13 20:17:44

Oh minipie sad I don't have mastitis but have my third blocked duct right now so I feel your pain (literally). Ds has lip tie too and not always the best latch but we muddle along. I use heat patches on my bra, you can get them at the pound shop and they last all day. I also dangle blush in the bath and really massage it until I cry and it seems to clear it.

I read on kellymom that stringy/grainy is all part of it.

Hope you get it sorted soon thanks

MoreSnowPlease Sun 14-Apr-13 21:05:33

I've had mastitis 3 times and never found a lump, now I get blocked ducts due to milk blisters due to awful latch due to ptt and lip tie! I always have a lump with the blocked duct but not with the mastitis.

Maybe it's because your whole boob tends to swell through infection whereas when it's just a blocked duct it's more localised.

I find that to clear blocked duct I have to burst blister/remove scab with sterile needle and then do dangle feeding with DS so gravity helps shift it.

with mastitis though I took a lot of hot showers/baths and very gentle massage helped.

Hope it gets better soon, not nice at all sad

minipie Mon 15-Apr-13 07:47:17

thanks everyone. dd slept through last night for first time in ages, I should be delighted but woke to a hard right boob as as result. but not painful oddly. after this mornings feed it's a lot better but still grainy/stringy. off to heat, massage and express now (again!) to see if that helps shift things more.

scab is slowly coming off with each feed (suspect dd is swallowing bits, presume that isn't an issue?) so hopefully once it's gone I won't keep getting the blockages. though suspect it may also be due to dd's teething and consequent smaller feeds. going to get some lecithin today too.

thank you all.

VikingLady Mon 15-Apr-13 07:56:18

The only thing that has ever helped my blocked ducts (same scabby problem as you!) was regular gentle exfoliation in the shower. Not just as a remedy but as a standard part of routine/prevention. I don't mean going at them with a scourer or similar! Just a thorough rub with the towel when getting dried, when the scabby bit was soggy.

minipie Mon 15-Apr-13 15:42:22

Thanks Viking - sounds like a really good idea (and appeals to my inner scab picker blush) will do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now