Talk

Advanced search

Help! Newborn with terrible trapped wind.

(19 Posts)
Novia Sat 13-Apr-13 12:16:15

Hi everyone - really hoping someone might have some ideas/experience they can share.

Our newborn is 9 days old. She was been feeding/sleeping perfectly up to yesterday with no winding issues. However, since yesterday she seems to be having terrible trouble farting/pooing and writhes around trying to expel it. This often happens as she is waking up and she isn't sleeping as well now. Her nappies were very liquid before and now her poo is quite dry in comparison.

She hasn't been feeding as well over the last couple of days either and pauses between sucks and finishes sooner, whereas before she just latched then sucked away until milk drunk! She's gone from sleeping in 4 hour stretches to 2 hour ones.

I have been on antibiotics for the last 4 days, with different ones added yesterday due to an infection following an episiotomy (split stitches, all very upsetting and miserable but another story). Could this be the issue? (Though the leaflets say it can cause diarrhoea, which is sort of the opposite issue.)

We have tried different methods of winding, massaging tummy, cycling legs and Infracol - none of which have made much difference.

Has anyone any experience of this and/or any advice you can share to help relieve her? We would be very grateful.

Wishiwasanheiress Sat 13-Apr-13 13:12:44

Sleep alters drastically after a few days born. They often sleep all the time at first. Then this cuts down. So 2hrs at 9 days is still flipping excellent. Might not feel it I grant u but its still normal. Many will now post in desperation as theirs doesn't go 30 mins....

Ur beautiful baby has a new tummy. It takes a while to settle. Infacol works by build up so 3 days and it can alter but has to be given at every feed.

You sound like ur doing everything possible. Well done so far. U plainly have good advice already. Congratulations on ur baby !!!

noblegiraffe Sat 13-Apr-13 13:17:40

What do you mean when you say her poo is quite dry? Bfed babies shouldn't be doing dry poos, it should be liquid.

DwellsUndertheSink Sat 13-Apr-13 13:19:24

Breastfed baby? SHe shouldnt be having solid poos. Id be worried about dehydration - check her soft spot - is it sunken? Try feeding more often - newborns should feed every 2 hours or so.

UniqueAndAmazing Sat 13-Apr-13 13:21:45

how often are you feeding her?
i think they can try to go further between feeds while they catch up on sleep.
try offering food more often.

but the poo, has it turned yellow/orange yet?

tiktok Sat 13-Apr-13 13:43:23

Dry poos in a breastfed baby are very unusual - can you ask the midwife for some input on this?

2 hr stretches of sleep are normal (more normal than 4 hrs).

Babies writhe when they wake - may have nothing to do with wind.

Best to ask the midwife what she thinks.

Hope all is well.

UniqueAndAmazing Sat 13-Apr-13 13:57:33

I know this might sound a bit odd, but can you post a photo of the poo?

So that we can see if it looks like a normal or a dry poo?
It's just that it could be a poo that hasn't had a wee with it, and might have absorbed into the nappy ,so look dry, but not actually be dry iyswim.

obviously, if more than one poo is dry, then you do need to talk to your MW as tiktok says

Novia Sat 13-Apr-13 14:24:20

Thanks everyone for your swift replies. Yes - she is BF. I've just posted a photo of her last nappy so you can see what I mean. She has just had her first really good feed in a couple of days, so hoping that might kick her tummy back on track...

noblegiraffe Sat 13-Apr-13 14:31:00

Where have you posted the photo? If it's on your profile it needs to be made public I think.

noblegiraffe Sat 13-Apr-13 14:33:55

Sorry, my iPad was being slow I think.

Hmm, that nappy doesn't look right to me. My DC's have been seedy, so with little bits in, but that big bit sticking out isn't anything I've seen before. Have you checked for dehydration? I think I'd be taking her to the docs.

5madthings Sat 13-Apr-13 14:37:06

That poo looks fine! Its just a little bit and they vary a lot its not hard formed poo its liquid yellow bmilk poo!

tiktok Sat 13-Apr-13 14:37:59

Nappy could be normal - the liquid in it could have been absorbed by the nappy.

You need to call the midwife - no need for the doctor unless the midwife thinks there is cause to have a second opinion. Your baby is 9 days old - still within midwife care. Just pick up the phone and ask her about it.

UniqueAndAmazing Sat 13-Apr-13 15:00:50

i think the poo looks normal.

but i think if you are worried at all, you should call your MW.
that's what she's there for smile

scissy Sat 13-Apr-13 18:55:33

I was on ABs when DD was 2 weeks old, it made her extra windy and her poos smelt interesting, they did warn me this could happen though. speak to your mw if you're concerned

Novia Sat 13-Apr-13 20:13:22

Thanks for all your comments guys. She seems a bit better this afternoon and her poo is a little bit damper, she also fed better so I'm really hoping it was a blip. Maybe the ABs made my milk taste a bit funny?! MW if coming tomorrow so will hopefully get her checked and weighed (and be reassured).

I never realised how much interest I would be taking in poo once my baby was born! grin

Novia Sat 13-Apr-13 23:18:47

Bugger - despite some good feeds the pain on pooing seems to be back tonight. hmm

katiecubs Sun 14-Apr-13 09:14:20

Passing wind, pooing, being sick, burping - all very upsetting experiences for a newborn getting to grips with his/her body! Don't worry it will pass.

Twattybollocks Sun 14-Apr-13 20:43:26

I'll bet my Beer money that its the antibiotics. They will come through in bm in v small amounts, and can upset the gut flora which will cause wind and discomfort. It will likely settle a few days after the antibiotics have stopped. Do check her mouth for thrush aswell, that can cause them to have a sore mouth and feeding problems. You are looking for little white spots on inside of cheeks and lips, and a furry white coating on the tongue thats still there before the next feed.

Novia Sun 14-Apr-13 23:13:20

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and kind comments. She does still get an uncomfortable stomach at times, but it seems to be less and I feel reassured that this isn't anything serious.

Had her weighed today and at 10 days she's gained 310g, so I'm obviously worrying more than I need to! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now