Talk

Advanced search

Need help to stop feeding a two year old

(11 Posts)
icepole Sat 13-Apr-13 05:29:48

I was hoping to self wean but she seems to feed more than ever, especially at night. I have been ill and I am starting to resent feeding because I can not say no without getting hysterics. I would be ok with a wee feed at bedtime but she won't let me drop feeds and I am exhausted with it. I still want it to be gentle though. Dad works away so he can't help.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Apr-13 08:39:45

It's a shame tat ad works away, has he got any leave coming up? How would you feel about night weaning and still doing the day feeds?

Haven't got much advice sorry. I did wean both of mine at 2 but that was a while ago, maybe speak to a BFC?

icepole Sat 13-Apr-13 22:14:42

I was hoping to do that and I keep almost managing it but then something happens or I just get too tired to battle with her in the night so I give in.

MrsHiddleston Sat 13-Apr-13 22:19:59

I stopped at 2y3m... He was capable of understanding so I explained it was all gone, empty, none left, and gave him milk in a cup. He asked all the time and then one day just stopped asking... Although I still get a 'mummy is it still gone, still empty?'. I was firm and just kept telling him the same story.

icepole Sun 14-Apr-13 16:17:35

Was he upset? My dd is distraught if I say no.

MrsHiddleston Sun 14-Apr-13 18:06:28

Initially he was. Basically what we did is made it a before bed only thing. So we whittled it down to once a day. And then we made a decision to stop completely. The first night he was upset but we stuck to our guns, the second night and third night he wasn't upset as such but he did whinge. Fourth night he seemed resigned to it, but he continued to ask for it about 2-3 weeks!

I had to stop... I was beginning to resent it and I felt I'd done enough to feed him for so long. I was much happier when we stopped.

icepole Sun 14-Apr-13 18:12:36

I would be happy to get down to a bedtime feed. She feeds loads still.

MrsHiddleston Sun 14-Apr-13 20:34:52

Of course it's entirely up to you, bit you've fed her so well for a nice long time. You're beginning to resent it which may spoil your memories of it. If you truly want to stop you may have to just be very firm. Do you have a partner? If you fed before her bed and then if she wakes up at all on the night they deal with her with a cup of cows milk?

MrsHiddleston Sun 14-Apr-13 20:35:52

And all milk during the day comes in cups not from mummy?

icepole Sun 14-Apr-13 22:08:36

Husband works away, am on my own. I would not mind feeding her at the end of the day. I am finding it tiring at night and during the day. She had big puppy dog eyes though, they will be the end of me. I might try saying bed time only.

MrsHiddleston Sun 14-Apr-13 23:01:49

All you can do us try. But once you've started I'd stick to your guns, try not to give in and give her mixed messages.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now