Talk

Advanced search

To bottle or sippy cup?

(19 Posts)
MamaBlue4 Sat 13-Apr-13 01:19:22

Starting to wean the twins from breast as well as food. With previous dc we went from breast, to bottle & breast, to sippy cup as they both self weaned around 1.

But this time I'm thinking of bypassing the bottle stage and going straight to sippy cup while still breastfeeding in between.

My questions:
Is this a good idea?
And is there any sippy cups targeted at 6-7 month olds possible with soft silicone like teat?

Has anybody had any experience with any of these?
mOmma Spill Proof Cup
NUK Learner Cup
Advent soft Spout Cup

MamaMimi Sat 13-Apr-13 01:29:52

Neither of my dds have ever had a bottle for drinks so I would say it's fine.

When I started them on food I just offered cooled boiled water in cups and they just got used to them.

Babies can generally suck well after breastfeeding so it tends not to be a problem and I've always started with cups that don't flow freely but that the baby has to suck the drink out of to get any iyswim. Free flow cups just mean they get too much/more than they want and end up spluttering and coughing.

I don't think we have used the cups you mention so can't help you there, sorry. We used anyway-up cups and a tommee tippee one I think.

MamaBlue4 Sat 13-Apr-13 02:34:40

Thanks for the reply. I'm not keen on giving them water as they don't really need it, so I'm sticking with breast milk, I never thought about whether I wanted free flow or not so thank you for pointing it out. I may try the different flows and see which they like best and stick with that smile

Victoria2002 Sat 13-Apr-13 08:26:51

My baby went easily to tomee tipee sippy cup at 6m...but I have over-active let down so I think he can handle a fast flow. I think they're cheap and simple to clean compared to cups with fiddly valves in the spouts. Can you offer them a sip of water at friends houses from their cups to try different types as it's too easy with children to buy tons of baby equipment you never use.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Apr-13 08:50:57

If you do decide to offer water there is no need to boil it after 6 months. If you are in the uk tap water is fine.

We had an avent cup with a silicone teat and I think you could take the valve out, which is useful as not all bf babies can drink from valves cups straightaway.

WhatAGoat Sat 13-Apr-13 08:55:51

I have tried every sippy cup going but dd decided on the cheapest tommee tippy free flow one that cost me 99p. shame bout the other £100 I spent on bloody fancy cups

Nancy54 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:24:49

Hi mama, I'm in a similar situation with 6 month old twins that I've started weaning and I'm wanting to cut down / phase out the breast feeding too. Dtb had always had a bottle before bed and dtg has just started accepting one in the last couple of weeks. I'm also giving them a dippy cup with water at meal times which they mostly play with but ate starting to get the hang of.

As I'm hoping to stop bfing by around 9 m, I'm hsppy for them to have a bottle as I don't think a dippy cup orpvides the same comfort as a bottle. But if you are planning on continuing bfing alongside the sippy cup, there's not really any need for bottles, unless you want to.

Nancy54 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:25:33

Sippy not dippy! Lol

MamaBlue4 Sat 13-Apr-13 14:12:55

I won't be using the bottle until they start self weaning from breast. Dd did at 1 so switched to bottle for bedtime. She's 2 now, has bottle but no breast milk (stopped liking it) same with ds1 he only has cups now and sippy for journeys (he's 4).

We've just bought the m0mma sippy cup with dual handles, with flexy teat in all 4 flows, to see if they like it, if not we'll go from there. We may have also bought the plate & cutlery...

shouldibecrossaboutthis Sat 13-Apr-13 17:56:01

My BF DS drinks from a tommee tipee free flow cup.

My cup knowledge:

Nuk: so hard to get liquid out, most children seem to enjoy biting it. It's also so bottle like in it's look which I'm not a fan of.

Avent: so annoying to clean!

Momma: quite a good cup, the spouts get ruined quickly though

AppleCrumples Sat 13-Apr-13 18:06:29

All 3 of my bf babies started on tomme tippee free flow cups but then went on to valve cups later as easier when out and about. Never bothered with bottles. Agree that avent ones are a bloody pain to clean but think they were the oned they liked best typical

All were on open cups around 2 1/2.

Am going to be doing the same with dc4 (14 weeks)

HTH

MamaBlue4 Sun 14-Apr-13 07:52:40

Thanks for the advice. We tried them dd's tommee tippee first explora cup and they point blank refused it. Do they have any slow flow ones?

I love the whole "play" thing with momma cups, so we'll see which they like.

MrsHoarder Sun 14-Apr-13 08:02:57

Well you're "supposed"to wean from bottle by 12 months so I wouldn't want to try to get them onto bottles only to wean them off again.

Ds has always had water with meals in a standard Tommy tippe sippy cup and has ebm in them too when he has it. Reduces the risk of constipation.

shouldibecrossaboutthis Sun 14-Apr-13 12:16:31

First explora are awful cups, the tommee tippee one I meant is this one: usually about £1.99 in supermarkets. Giving a soft spout always seems a bit pointless to me as you will eventually have to gice a hard spout. I prefer to cut to the chase grin.

Another great cup is a doidy cup, it's an open cup so great with food, but not so great when you're out.

shouldibecrossaboutthis Sun 14-Apr-13 12:22:06

ps. If you really want a soft silicone teat, nuby I find is the best. it's called a gripper cup. They also do a slightly larger grip n sip, which is also good, but a tiny teeny weeny bit annoying when you put it together. These ones have a vari flow depends on the suck.

I look after children hence this weird cup knowledge!

MamaBlue4 Sun 14-Apr-13 18:11:28

Thanks for all the advice, with previous it was easy. Went from MAM bottles to basically any sippy cup, they weren't fussed. Although dd only now drinks from the explora.

Also, we tried them on a friend's hard spout today, and they wouldn't take it. We'll try them on the tommee one you suggested and the Momma one.

mrshoarder dd associates bottle with bed time, a routine she's had since she was 1. We'll soon exchange the bottle for a "bedtime sippy" but I'm not in a hurry as other things take priority. It wasn't hard to do it with ds1 we just let him choose his own sippy and he used that til he was 3.

They haven't latched anything but breast, so they've never had water etc (only been weaning food for a couple weeks).

We'll see what happens smile

MamaBlue4 Mon 15-Apr-13 22:42:00

Oh don't think I clarified before dd has the explora first sips cup.

We have a winner for the twins!!

Took dts with me to visit a friend today, and she has dozens of sippy cups, so she said I could try them on dts with a bit of my pumped breast milk.

I agree, the Nuby ones, are messy! Out of all the choices the twins only took to two.

1) NUK First Choice Learner Bottle with soft spout - So, I've ordered 4 of the disney ones 2 red/2 black.

2)m0mma bottle with handles and nipple spout. (glad I already them.)

So, my friend has given me those cups, so I can transition them until mine arrive. For the first ever they tried water, dts1 however, spat it out.

We'll see how things go x

Springforward Tue 16-Apr-13 20:40:12

We bypassed bottles, DS was just not interested in them at all. We tried a doidy cup, a basic Tommee Tippee cup, and the Avent soft spout cup with the non-spill valve taken out. We got on best with the Avent spout at 5ish months but by 6ish months he was getting on fine with the Tippee cup, so we stuck with them for water or expressed milk. Doidy was great when he was ready to move on to an open cup later.

Crocodilehunter Tue 16-Apr-13 21:08:33

My DS is 5mo and hates bottles, we're just starting to practice using the tommee tippee free flow cup with cooled boiled water & he loves it, like Victoria2002 I can have a pretty mean let down so the flow of the cup doesn't seem to bother DS, that isn't to say it isn't messy though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now