Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning

(22 Posts)
MrsNPattz Fri 12-Apr-13 23:07:46

Help! Any tips please? Thanks.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 12-Apr-13 23:19:35

How old is your Lo Mrs ?

Have you read 12 alternatives for te all night nurser?

Have a look at the isis website too smile

MrsNPattz Sat 13-Apr-13 03:44:22

He is 7 months! Thank you I will have a look smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Apr-13 08:36:56

Do you want to night wean completely or just cut back a little? How often is Lo feeding in the night? Are you offering solids roughly an hour after the milk feed in the day to make sure Lo is getting enough milk?

Victoria2002 Sat 13-Apr-13 08:55:57

I night weaned my ds at 6.5m using controlled crying. It was pretty heart-wrenching but I was able to do it partly because I have done similar as a nanny and deep down I felt confident it would work and would not harm him. I imagine if you were unsure at all it would be torture for you. The first night was awful, the second was a bit bumpy and from then on he slept 8pm-5am, has a fast b/f then settles back to sleep peacefully till 7am ish. He now goes to bed and I can watch him on the camera monitor we have as he snuggles down peacefully and settles to sleep. He also wakes at 7 cheerfully and just chats till we come and fetch him. Previously he b/f every 2 hours all night every night, and I was taking him to work with me from 12 weeks so I had to find a solution to teach him to sleep.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Apr-13 09:20:57

While controlled crying does work for some, it doesn't work for every baby. We did it to the letter and it didnt work for us. It's a lot of heartache to go through too for something that may or may not work.

Here's what isis say about sleep training.

Sound Sleep by Sarah Woodhouse is good and have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution?

MrsNPattz Sat 13-Apr-13 12:42:02

He is feeding about 3 or 4 times a night but it's getting progressively worse. We had a spell where he slept through, and for a long time he was just up once so I'm not sure what's changed. I can deal with one, even two feeds.

I have nothing against CC but it's not for us. I am reading NCSS at the moment so I'm wondering whether to try gradual removal? Any thoughts about giving a bottle of formula at bedtime? Thanks.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Apr-13 13:19:46

Formula does work for some and not for others. You see people on here who have tried it only to find its made no difference or that its made the night wakings worse, the formula is harder to digest but this can cause problems with lots digestive system and lead to more wakings. Others swear by it but I think its important to remember that formula is just a substitute for bfing and not a magic formula. There is some information on kellymom here.

Has the more frequent waking being go on for long? Do you think it could be a developmental leap? The wonder weeks book and website is good for checking when those are.

Could he be hungry, solids can actually make them hungrier if they aren't getting enough milk in the day. You could try bfing more in the day.

Could he be cold?

What do you do when he wakes?

MrsNPattz Sat 13-Apr-13 15:36:47

It's about 2-3 weeks I would say although it's a bit of a blur, I think I just cracked yesterday though cause I'm so tired. Maybe we are expecting too much from him? He's teething, and maybe it is developmental. We are doing BLW and he is taking some solids in but don't know how much. You could be on to something with needing to feed more in the day - his feeds are not as long in the day and he gets easily distracted!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 14-Apr-13 22:30:15

How are things now? Have you tried upping his daytime feeds?

MrsNPattz Mon 15-Apr-13 18:59:44

Hi, I am trying to feed him as much as possible in the day. We had a good night last night - half 10-half 5 with no wake ups but he ended up co-sleeping with me as he would just not settle at all. Every time we put him down he woke up crying. I'm pretty sure it's teething - his top gums are swollen and white. So who knows what tonight will bring!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Apr-13 20:14:02

Glad you had a better night, even if he did end up with you. I think 2 wake ups at 7 months is going well compared to some babies and research says that by 7 months most bfers are getting more sleep than their ffing peers smile

MrsNPattz Mon 15-Apr-13 20:17:37

Thank you, that makes me feel better! I think I got myself very wound up so everything felt worse!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 15-Apr-13 21:36:24

You poor thing, what is making so anxious?

I think its easy to believe, especially if you believe the literature from the formula companies, that all the other babies are sleeping through and its simply not true. Have you seen Kellymom: studies on normal infant sleep?. This and the isis website are good for helping you realise that in fact you could be doing things right.

If you do choose to night wean I think its also important to work out who will deal with night wakings and what they will replace the bfing with. If for instance he still wakes and will only go back to sleep if you give him a bottle, as happened to my friend, then you are just making things worse for yourself.

If you do look for some books to help you deal with it I always try to choose books on parenting that are evidence based and written by parents like the sound sleep book I mentioned before and the ncss.

MrsNPattz Tue 16-Apr-13 02:45:38

I'm not sure - I think I feel like a rubbish mummy sometimes, and take on board other people's expectations. Everybody is so quick to give an opinion and 'advice' that I let it all get on top of me instead of just thinking about little man and I. We have given up on pressuring ourselves into a routine/sleep training for a while and I feel better already!

MrsNPattz Tue 16-Apr-13 06:57:43

I also think I'm anxious about it because I start training for a new job soon and I'm worried I will be too tired to give it my all. Need to learn to relax I guess but I'm not good at that!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Apr-13 06:44:23

It is hard not to take other people's opinions on board but they probably haven't read the information on normal infant sleep and they don't know your baby like you do.

If you are worried about your new job, have you got someone else to deal with some of the night wakings? Was the 12 alternatives link any good?

jetstar Wed 17-Apr-13 07:08:51

Sorry to butt in but just to say those are great links JiltedJohnsJulie Thank you!
I am also struggling with night time feedings (every 2-3 hours and we cosleep) and my DD2 is 11 months. The information in the ISIS link makes me think that somehow I have been right to resist night time weaning so far even though I am knackered during the day.
You have my sympathy OP and I hope you find the solution that is right for you.

harverina Wed 17-Apr-13 07:51:59

Jiltedjohn has offered you fantastic advice which I can't add to but I just wanted to say that my dd's sleep was really impacted when she started solids. She went from 1-2 feeds per night to many more, and she was also really unsettled going to bed. It did improve though.

We didn't try and form of sleep training until 11 months when we used the pantley pull off method which worked for us. It's in the ncss book which you spoke about.

Don't let other people's expectations get you down. Night waking is normal for many months/years! Hope your ok op.

MrsNPattz Wed 17-Apr-13 09:11:00

Thanks for the support Jet, Haver and Jilted - you have been really kind and helpful.

Everything you have shared has been useful Jilted grin have tried upping his feeds in the day but he just won't feed for long - once he's done he's done and clamps his mouth shut! We tried hubby seeing to him in the night without feeding but he wouldn't settle for over an hour each time so I fed him in the end and off to sleep he went. We are working on the Pantley Pull Off just now but hasn't made any difference yet.

Hubby could do night feeds with ebm when I have training but he works full time so it's Catch 22. I think my training needs me more alert though so that is something we could do.

Bad night last night zzzzzzzzzz

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Apr-13 08:02:54

Er haverina think I might have got some of those links from you originally blushgrin

jet glad you found the information reassuring smile

Mrs I'd keep on offering more bf in the day, even if he only has a little at least its something.

MrsNPattz Thu 18-Apr-13 08:43:39

I will, thank you thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now