Talk

Advanced search

centre of nipple is cloudy and white, looks a bit 'gummed up' (sorry)..

(22 Posts)
CarterGirl Fri 12-Apr-13 13:31:25

..Is this thrush? I've been bf for 13 months now, and have had this before but not for a long time so I can't really remember what it is/ how long it will last. It is quite tender and it hurts when DS latches on/ off.

If it is thrush do I need antibiotics and will DS? When I got it before I just left it I think and it cleared up. Don't want DS to get it in his mouth and go off his food though (he has chicken pox!) so am keen to act if I should why do these things always happen on a Friday though?

TIA

littlestressy Fri 12-Apr-13 13:36:43

Could it be a milk blister? These are also called blebs I think, if you check on Google images you can compare your nipple!
Don't know about thrush I'm afraid, could LLL or breastfeeding network help?

CarterGirl Sat 13-Apr-13 08:55:08

Thank you littlestressy! It could be. It seems a little too 'spread out', a bit like a cauliflower, to be a milk blister but I have had one of those before so maybe it's the start of one or something.

StealthToddler Sat 13-Apr-13 09:20:21

If it is a milk blister be careful not to break it. I had one when bf and an infection got in through it and caused very bad mastitis. Does sound like it could be one.

MoreSnowPlease Sat 13-Apr-13 09:47:16

It could be vasospasm (raynauds) I get this but it's not permanent on me so only happens when DS latches off and stays for a few minutes. It's basically reduced blood supply?

I have a milk blister at the moment, it's clearly that though, doesn't spread out, I get them regularly and they cause blocked ducts so have lumpy sore boobs and have to pop them and get the milk flowing to relieve.

You can google and look at images.

MoreSnowPlease Sat 13-Apr-13 09:48:14

Thrush tends to produce reddy pink colour and a glassy look?

CarterGirl Sun 14-Apr-13 14:33:54

I think you might all be right.. Thanks for the diagnosis. It hasn't gone away and is in fact now turning yellow. This isn't good is it? <gulp>

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 14-Apr-13 17:51:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CarterGirl Sun 14-Apr-13 19:44:47

Yes I think so, a very central one and a bit 'spread out' as if milk has got trapped under a number of little pathways under my skin (if that makes sense). It is not one bulbous-looking 'spot'. The fluid that is trapped now looks more yellowy than white..

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 14-Apr-13 19:53:05

CarterGirl Sun 14-Apr-13 21:18:27

Thanks for the link! I haven't actually tried treating it yet, which I appreciate sounds really stupid but the bathroom is just across the landing from DS's bedroom and I've been nervous a long evening bath with lots of hot water (mm bliss) will wake him. But I will have one tomorrow morning by hook or crook - and attempt to scrub it as you suggest.
Am worried that it's causing my supply to drop by dint of trapping milk and causing a reduced flow!
Plus, as you say it hurts sad

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 14-Apr-13 21:41:19

CarterGirl Mon 15-Apr-13 12:04:47

Hot bath achieved! with grizzling DS banging on side as he wanted to get in. Not quite a spa experience I immersed it and rubbed with a toothbrush. Whimper. It seems to have done the trick though - fingers crossed!
Thanks for advice!

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 15-Apr-13 12:41:57

CarterGirl Tue 16-Apr-13 10:06:46

It seems to be back sad
It's at least more 'contained' this time, to one obvious little bump. I also have a little red 'scar' next to it from where the skin must have scarred after loosening the previous one in hot water/ rubbing it. The scar has been really hurting ever since I cleared it and in fact I only just noticed the new blister as well.
Feeds are really painful at the moment! Do I just ride it out? Has anyone tried putting a cotton wool pad soaked in olive oil in their bra?

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 16-Apr-13 10:23:02

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 16-Apr-13 10:44:11

HalfBakedCleverCookie Tue 16-Apr-13 10:49:55

Are you sure its a milk blister and not a vasospasm, I had those caused by thrush and after each feed my nipple would look white like cauliflower, then yellow and eventually back to pink. Very sore.

flakjacket Tue 16-Apr-13 10:51:53

Second the pop with a sterilized needle and squeeze out. I had a huge one and did this (very painful, took ages) and it never came back. Huge sympathetic hugs. xx

McBaby Tue 16-Apr-13 20:06:05

Think I have the same problem! V painful and not thrush as is one sided!

Tried olive oil last night will do it again tonight! Really scared if bursting it and introducing bacteria and getting mastitis again!!!

MoreSnowPlease Wed 17-Apr-13 10:06:53

I have two now, after popping the first (which usually works) and getting another straight after, and the first is still there! I thought I was getting mastitis as my whole boob is basically full of blocked ducts now but I don't feel unwell so hoping they will just clear. Not sure if I should try and pop again!

CarterGirl Wed 17-Apr-13 13:46:17

Sorry for delay, no chance to post yesterday. Thanks for the commiserations and advice!

Tis sodding painful isn't it.

I will try the oil pad in bra thing I think (although at work today so will have to do it this evening) - I tried the sterilised needle surgery thing when I got it months ago and it didn't seem to work.

My last one did 'clear' eventually. Lingered for ages though! (but didn't seem to hurt after a while. Was all quite odd).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now