Talk

Advanced search

Broad beans???

(8 Posts)
MrsWhirling Thu 11-Apr-13 20:23:53

I was just tucking into a rissotto with broad beans. Halfway through my MIL said Breastfeeding mothers must not eat broad beans - WTF?? does anyone know if this true? I'm worried now.

IncogKNEEto Thu 11-Apr-13 20:57:34

They might make you (and your baby) windy, but I haven't heard or read about them doing actual harm iyswim? HTH

MrsWhirling Thu 11-Apr-13 21:19:52

Thanks, windy I can cope with. - LOL!

EauRouge Thu 11-Apr-13 22:13:34

Never heard this one before! There are no foods that you need to avoid when breastfeeding. Lots of info here.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 11-Apr-13 22:28:53

I've never heard of tat one before either eau. Can remember my my saying on day 2 that I shouldn't eat curry and bf with a face like she was sucking a lemon. She wasn't too impressed when DH asked her how women in India got on then grin

Think you can now safely ignore anything your mil says on bfing, just smie and nod smile

Lizzie1972 Thu 11-Apr-13 23:02:17

Bit long winded (sorry!!) but
G6PD deficiency is a condition where an enzyme necessary for the conjugation of bilirubin is missing or insufficient.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi…
"Precautions should be followed for infants with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency. G6PD deficiency has been associated with an increased risk of hemolysis, hyperbilirubinemia, and kernicterus. Mothers who breastfeed infants with known or suspected G6PD deficiency should not ingest fava beans (broad beans)or medications such as nitrofurantoin, primaquine phosphate, or phenazopyridine hydrochloride, which are known to induce hemolysis in deficient individuals."

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 12-Apr-13 08:13:17

Sorry for the typo, that was my Mw.

tiktok Fri 12-Apr-13 09:38:29

How ridiculous sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now