Talk

Advanced search

Speed of feeding

(5 Posts)
plummyjam Thu 11-Apr-13 18:51:30

Just started to introduce a bottle of EBM to DD aged 8 weeks. She manages to finish 2oz in under 2 mins. Is this fast feeding? Breast feeds only last about 5 mins and she can be a bit refluxy -possetting and crying after feeds. Am wondering if she is a gulper but got nothing to compare to!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 11-Apr-13 19:05:53

5 mins is prey fast, my dd was 10 and I thought that was fast! smile

If she is gulping down the ebm and getting windy, could you try a smaller teat?

mumsnoc Thu 11-Apr-13 23:27:56

Seems very fast to me for such a young baby. My little guy started only feeding for 3 - 5 mins per breast at about 6 months and I was freaked out. I thought he was self-weaning due to distraction or something (he was getting very distracted during feeds), but then I found out it was just that he had learned how to suck more efficiently. Now I'm delighted that the feeds only take half the time they used to except for his first feed which is longer. However, at eight weeks old I am surprised they're so short but maybe your baby feeds more often than mine did.
If she has bad reflux - does she cry? - maybe feeding is uncomfortable for her. If you're worried about it take her to the doctor for a check-up/ reassurance. Bottle feeds can be short though as the teats are often much easier to drink quickly/ guzzle from.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 12-Apr-13 08:20:02

Agree that it just could be efficient feeding but if you are worried please talk to a BFC before going to the GP, its a sad fact that most GPS a a bit deficient in feeding knowledge. Have you got the helpline numbers?

plummyjam Fri 12-Apr-13 10:25:01

Hi thanks for the advice. Should clarify that the crying and possetting after feeds has really settled over last couple of weeks after I started propping her more upright for feeds, but I was just a bit surprised by the volume she managed to knock back!! She's not especially windy.

Obviously when you're BF you can't see how much they're taking. She's thriving weight wise (91st centile) so will keep an eye for now.

Do miss the days when she would feed for longer - had more time to play on the internet then!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now