Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Someone please help

(13 Posts)
Flumpy2012 Thu 11-Apr-13 06:36:31

I'm in agony. I have a hard lump in my left breast. My daughter is 18 weeks, I've tried expressing, heat, massaging and feeding her. I've taken painkillers but its so painful I feel sick.

I've tried the 24 hour breastfeeding line but its going to answer phone. If anyone has absolutely any advice pls help me

Thank you

Anthracite Thu 11-Apr-13 07:06:38

Go to the doctor

Fairylea Thu 11-Apr-13 07:07:35

Sounds like mastitis. You probably need antibiotics. Definitely get an emergency appointment with your doctor.

Flumpy2012 Thu 11-Apr-13 07:14:06

That's easier said than done with a baby as a single mum when the doctors isn't open x

Anthracite Thu 11-Apr-13 07:17:00

The doctor will be open in an hour or so, and you can take your baby with you.

heidipi Thu 11-Apr-13 07:22:10

It does sound exactly like mastitis - I had the same twice. If so antibiotics will help and you need to keep feeding too. It's really painful I know and I feel for you. If you can phone the docs as soon as they open and get an emergency appt (cry to the receptionist if needed - am sure that won't be difficult) or go to a walk in clinic where you don't need an appointment. Is your breast red and feeling hot around the lump? Anti-bs work quite quickly but you do need to see someone. Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Flumpy2012 Thu 11-Apr-13 07:26:11

I've had mastitis before, this feels worse. The pain is affecting all the nerves down one side. My daughter is allergic to formula so I've no option but to keep feeding.
I can't do this. I called out of hours and they say its not an emergency x

BiscuitMillionaire Thu 11-Apr-13 07:31:26

No-one can diagnose you over the internet, you need to be seen by a medical professional. Take your baby with you and go to the GPs the moment it opens, tell them you're in agony and insist on being seen urgently.

[gentle hug]

heidipi Thu 11-Apr-13 07:36:21

Mastitis comes in varying degrees I thunk, the second time I had it wasn't as bad as the first. It's urgent enough to get an emergency appt at a surgery - not least because you're struggling to feed a young baby. If you can get to your local surgery or walk-in centre for when they open (about half 8 around here) you might get seen quickly. You need to see a doc to determine if it's mastitis or a blocked duct (or something else, i don't know what tho) either way keeping feeding will help. Is there anyone who can go with you for company?

tiktok Thu 11-Apr-13 08:47:24

flumpy there are several other bf lines, but all will strongly support the idea of getting medical advice on this one - it's not an issue for a telephone line or a talkboard.

Yes, it's horrible and painful but even if your doc agreed to a home visit this wouldn't be until this afternoon.

Hope you get good help asap.

nancerama Thu 11-Apr-13 08:50:58

Phone your GP as soon as it opens. If there are no appointments available tell the receptionist that you suspect you have mastitis and ask for a telephone consultation. You will be seen same day.

Do you have a friend you can call to accompany you to the surgery in case you start to feel wobbly or feverish?

I've had mastitis twice. It's horrible, but antibiotics and continuing to feed will shift it quickly.

TeaMakesItAllPossible Thu 11-Apr-13 08:56:09

Doctors. If they try to fob you off tell them it's affecting your baby's feeding and you are there only source of hydration.

nancerama Thu 11-Apr-13 20:32:53

How are you doing Flumpy? Did you manage to get to the GP? I hope you're feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now