Talk

Advanced search

9 mo EBF hardly feeding anymore?

(5 Posts)
JezzaJ9 Wed 10-Apr-13 20:25:27

My DS 2 is 9 mo and has just started refusing the breast more and more. Is this normal?:

Wake 6am-7am tiny breaatfeed
Breakfast 8am
Snack rice cake 10am
Lunch 12pm
BF 1pm small amount
Snack 4pm
Dinner 5pm
BF 6:30pm small amount
Once or twice BF in the night.

He is so different from DS 1 who was text book, but I can't get milk in him he refuses and wants to play or look around and if he gets too bored he just bites. Shall I just accept that's the way it is? smilesmilesmile

LAF77 Thu 11-Apr-13 00:56:07

Is he teething? Has he been ill recently? That doesn't seem like enough milk from your description.

CoolaSchmoola Thu 11-Apr-13 01:34:49

Some babies just aren't 'milky' babies. My DD wasn't. As soon as food came into the equation she dropped her milk intake vastly. At 9 mths she was having three small milk feeds plus meals a day.

I was advised to sneak it into food, so made cheese sauce, egg custards and rice pudding etc with expressed milk. It meant that she got the nutrients and benefits of milk through the food that she preferred to the milk. Win win.

JezzaJ9 Thu 11-Apr-13 03:12:46

Thanks cool. LA he has been teething since 14 weeks he has 8 teeth and another on way and its not stopped him..., will keep trying and look at adding to food as well.

ruthyroo Fri 12-Apr-13 09:46:44

It's really common at this age and the important thing is to keep offering and not jump to offer too many replacements or substitutes. Cows milk is not the equivalent of BM so be wary of filling up with foods and other liquids at the expense of BM. Kellymom has great advice on distracted babies and nursing strikes. Also a good article on avoiding premature weaning around this age called 'do babies under 12 months self wean?' Answer: no they don't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now