Talk

Advanced search

Cup refuser

(2 Posts)
IShallCallYouSquishy Wed 10-Apr-13 17:41:17

My DD is 10.5 months and breast fed. She has taken EBM in a bottle. My problem is she will not take fluids from a cup. I have tried about 5 different ones and she will take barely the tiniest of sips before shoving it away.

I want to stop BF when she's 1 and plan to start reducing the 4 feeds she has a day over 4 weeks, so she'll be 13 months when she stops. I just don't know how on earth to get her to take her drinks from a cup. She will take a bottle but I don't want to really introduce this as her way of drinking at her age.

I offer water in a cup regularly throughout the day but it just gets pushed away.

Has anyone got past this with their DC! And if so how? Is it with trying her with a bit of cows milk in a cup already? Get her ready for the taste? Or should I just wait until she's 1 and go almost cold turkey on the breast feed so she has not choice but to drink from a cup?

HELP!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 11-Apr-13 09:20:32

I'd talk to a BFC about your plans to stop and how to proceed. Have you got the helpline numbers?

If its any help the amount she needs after 12 months is 300ml a day of full fat cows milk and this can include milk used in things like cereals, milky jellies, cauliflower cheese etc. if you are still doing one or two bfs you dont have to think about the 300ml until you've stopped completely. Both of mine both had a clear break from stopping bfing to starting to drink cows milk, they just wouldn't accept it while BM was on offer. They both love cows milk now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now