Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk / breastfeeding

(5 Posts)
EmmaMadrid Wed 10-Apr-13 12:26:14

Does anyone have experience giving formula to a baby who has shown intolerance to traces of cows milk/cheese etc. in breastmilk? I'm exclusively bf'ing now and have eliminated all cows milk from diet as dd reacted badly to it. Now I'm wondering what will happen if I give her the odd bottle of formula and then switch to formula at six months when I go back to work. Thanks!

mmmmsleep Wed 10-Apr-13 15:29:47

hi you need formula on prescription. normally will be nutramigen to try first then neocate. don't give normal formula reaction will be much worse. are you on calcium supplements from gp if off dairy? (sandocal 1000). check out allergies forum lots of experience on there. see your gp now for trial of formula as it tastes foul so can take while to get them to take. my ds never took it so I ended up pumping 3 times at work until 9m then he refused bottle and just waited for me! lots of babies are fine taking it though...I just have a fussy one.

EmmaMadrid Wed 10-Apr-13 20:35:44

Thanks!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 11-Apr-13 16:33:41

Totally agree, you need Lo allergy testing smile

mmmmsleep Thu 11-Apr-13 20:30:31

emma have you seen a dietician? you should ask to bw referred as dairy is big food group to exclude so it is good to get advice for weaning and re re challenge. often long wait so get referred now. hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now