Talk

Advanced search

Restarting breastfeeding after a 10 day break

(16 Posts)
NancyBlacket Wed 10-Apr-13 08:55:30

i'm hoping to restart / continue to breastfeed my 14 month DS after a 10 day separation from him.

I'm in hospital (abroad) with a broken leg. I've not expressed any milk and have begun to feel less engorged.

If I feed on demand through the nights will my supply increase? He will be in childcare during the day.

I so don't want to stop feeding him yet. Anyone able to reassure me while I wait to be reunited?!

Droflove Wed 10-Apr-13 09:41:58

I would have thought your milk would be well gone by now. Do you think you still have some?

NancyBlacket Wed 10-Apr-13 10:03:26

It's been 6 days so far and I definitely still have milk. But up until now I've been breastfeeding solidly for the last three years. Guess I'll just have to wait and see smile

mmmmsleep Wed 10-Apr-13 15:33:23

can you have a few days of help at home with as much day and night skin to skin breast feeding as poss....might need more than just night feeds to reestablish. certainly can be done though. people breast feed their adopted babies when not been pregnant! don't worry.

NancyBlacket Wed 10-Apr-13 16:36:46

Thanks for the encouraging words mmmmsleep. Yes should have the weekend with help. Will just have to see how it goes.

Soupa Wed 10-Apr-13 16:46:09

Your supply will bounce back, it is more than establishedsmile

Skin to skin and take it from there.

worldgonecrazy Wed 10-Apr-13 16:53:54

When I stopped bfing at 15 months, it took a few months for the milk to stop coming completely - had to squeeze a bit to get some out after a few weeks, but there were still drops for quite a while. I'm sure it will restart, even if it takes a while to kick-off again.

BreastfeedingQuest Wed 10-Apr-13 18:24:24

Breastfeed actively on demand and pump every 2 hours while your baby is in daycare. Re-lactating (this is what it is called) is feasible, but depending on your body may require patience and dedication. Make sure you are using a more expensive double electric pump (like Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced) or a hospital-grade rental pump. But take caution to regulate the strength accordingly not to cause cracked or sore nipples. Also pump for 5-7 minutes after every breastfeeding session to provide extra stimulation.
Also do not refuse feedings at night. However, at this age there may be none. The idea is to breastfeed as much as possible and then pump. The more you do it, the stronger signal you send to your body that more milk is needed.
You can also try some non-traditional methods. They all worked for me! Here is a link, if you are interested: www.breastfeedingquest.com/increase-breast-milk-non-traditional.html

Hope you get your milk supply back and happy breastfeeding to you!

NancyBlacket Thu 11-Apr-13 08:12:58

Thanks everyone, I should be home tomorrow evening and can't wait to see my DS's again.

narmada Thu 11-Apr-13 12:23:25

I am sure you'll be OK, I am not sure you'll need to go as hardcore as pumping every 2 hours while your baby's in daycare, that would be quite onerous (!). I think your baby will do most of the work himself when you see him again. You poor thing, how awful being stuck in another country, apart from your babies.

I would be very very surprised if your milk was 'all gone' after only 10 days (as one PP suggested above), especially given you have been feeding for 3 years without a break. Milk can take months, and sometimes years, to disappear after you stop. And even if it does, you can get it back very often.

5madthings Thu 11-Apr-13 12:25:30

Given how long you have bern feeding i think you will be fine, your supply wont dry up in ten days, reduce a bit yes but not dry up!

puddock Thu 11-Apr-13 12:38:29

You should be fine. I wouldn't think you'd be in a full relactation scenario (IME that's more with infants? I'm just a BF peer supporter though) as your supply will be diminished but should still be there to be boosted back up again when you're reunited. Whatever you can do to reconnect with your son will really help - you must be so looking forward to seeing him - and as you know the more he feeds (or you express) the more milk you'll make.

Some links here - the one about 'alternative to early weaning' might be relevant, as the others may refer to smaller babies
http://kellymom.com/ages/adopt-relactate/relactation-resources/

NancyBlacket Thu 11-Apr-13 20:30:31

Thank you, I've taken a look at the links. It's interesting reading! And makes me realise what an amazing thing the human body is! I should be home tomorrow (really missing both my sons!) and since my breasts are still uncomfortable I think I'll be fine.
I do appreciate the reassurance though thanks

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 12-Apr-13 14:47:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NancyBlacket Tue 16-Apr-13 01:37:13

Well I returned to my son at the weekend, and he was very glad to see me! I seem to be producing a bit less than I used to as DS is asking for water during the night (and drinking loads) I don't mind if this leads to him weaning but am continuing to offer him brestmilk whenever he is interested.

5madthings Tue 16-Apr-13 08:07:40

I am sure your supply will.quickly catch up. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now