Talk

Advanced search

Thrush

(2 Posts)
BonaDea Wed 10-Apr-13 06:16:36

After a few torturous days of wondering how bf'ing could have become such agony my 3 week old DS has been diagnosed with oral thrush which has passed to my nipples.

We have been prescribed daktarin cream for my nipples and nystatin liquid for his mouth, both to be applied after every feed. We've been told to keep taking those for at least a week after symptoms clear.

I was just looking for some reassurance really. I have seen some horror stories online about cases of thrush taking weeks or months to clear. With this level of discomfort I'm not sure I could keep going beyond another week or so hmm Will the stuff prescribed work?!

The lactation consultant I have seen immediately told me the GP had prescribed the wrongs stuff, that I should be on tablets for the thrush as well as cream and that DS should be getting daktarin gel which works better.

Help!

marianasmum Wed 10-Apr-13 06:54:38

I had this. It was hell and I nearly gave up. Luckily I had a supportive HV who knew what she was talking about and was able to encourage GP to prescribe a course of anti fungal tablets (had been to and fro, with thrush/not thrush diagnosis and given cream that did pretty much nothing). The thrush cleared and I went on to BF for ages. Be persistent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now