Talk

Advanced search

Help me please 8 month old ds has his first tooth and is using it on my nipples

(12 Posts)
bubblesinthesky Tue 09-Apr-13 21:43:39

Ouch.

I fed dd until she was 2 and had almost no problems with biting though there were one or two painful episodes. However, DS has just grown tooth number one and is determined to use it. How can I train him not to it? One tooth is bad enough but what he's going to be like when hes got more of them I shudder to think. My nipples are feeling very tender.

I'm detaching him and saying no every time he does it but almost as soon as he reattaches he's doing it again. This means he's getting virtually no milk and is getting irritable and hungry as a result and my boobs have swollen to enormous proportions and I've got leaked milk soaking my socks!!

I need advise please. I want to carry on feeding him for sometime yet but today I feel like giving up

AGiddyKipperInOneHand Tue 09-Apr-13 21:49:58

You've bf him for 8 months, he has had the benefit of that, you could bottle feed him until he's weaned...either expressed or formula, or a mix of both. Friends in the same situation did this and weaned early (but only the right foods at recommended ages, so hold off on the Marmite on toast!)

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 09-Apr-13 21:59:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 09-Apr-13 22:01:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Titsalinabumsquash Tue 09-Apr-13 22:04:38

My 5 month old does this so I'll keep watch, he just clamps down with his
1 tooth and hard gums then giggles when I remove him. confused

Beamur Tue 09-Apr-13 22:11:31

My DD did this with her first teeth too. If they are latched on they can't bite - if their mouths are sore too, they may be a bit more bitey so make sure you do use pain relief (in my opinion anyway). I found a sharp 'no' was usually enough to make DD let go (as she was a bit shocked and surprised) and then I would put her down straight away. So biting=no more feeding/cuddles.
I found the bite was more likely to happen towards the end of a feed, so watch out for the change and have a finger ready to put into the corner of their mouth to break the seal - don't try and pull away as you're likely to get hurt.
It is just a phase and like WouldBeHarrietVane says, if you persevere you will get past this and can continue to bf if you want to - I carried on whilst my DD had a mouthful of teeth and she only bit me at this early stage and never again.

PinkPepper Wed 10-Apr-13 02:00:33

what a weird comment agiddykipperinonehand there's no need to stop breastfeeding, I presume you are offering food now but milks still most important (and my 8 month loves marmite on toast :D )

There are a few tips about biting here http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/nursing-manners-2/

PinkPepper Wed 10-Apr-13 02:01:48

oops meant to link to this one http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

AGiddyKipperInOneHand Wed 10-Apr-13 12:09:01

you're right Pink, I could have worded that better & left out the bit in brackets altogether...My main point was just that she could express her own milk and then bottle feed.

oscarwilde Thu 11-Apr-13 11:33:50

Yelping "No" loud enough to give him a shock can work, or the Kellymom trick of pulling him close to cut off his breathing temporarily to get him to release (rather than pulling him off the breast) I found very effective.
I think I might have also used some bonjela before latching on once or twice (must have tasted very strange) but I can't honestly remember whether it was effective.
Basically - what Beamur said.
The only other thing is that if you are very engorged, your let down might be ferocious and he might be biting as a defence mechanism against drowning ? grin Maybe express a little before the next feed?
Mostly I found that I just needed to be alert to the end of the feed before a bored baby started to chew. Cured my MN habit temporarily.

SamraLee Thu 11-Apr-13 11:39:06

My daughter was having a problem with biting and I tried No and putting her down, it wasn't working. I posted her and another mumsnetters told me to try silence. Just immediately stop breastfeeding and put down. Don't say no or even make a noise of pain. It worked very well and she hasn't biten me again. Hope this helps.

bubblesinthesky Thu 11-Apr-13 12:46:26

Thank you everyone.

Well things are improving. I've been taking him off and we've gone back to basics as I've been latching him on again as I did when he was a tiny baby. It seems to be working as his latch is deeper and as someone said above he can't bite.

oscarwild I had wondered if I might be drowning him so was expressing a bit first and it certainly seemed to help.

We're gradually returning to normal or at least my socks are currently dry grin

Thanks again I was at the end of my tether when I posted before

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now