Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth buying an electric pump?

(14 Posts)
Emilythornesbff Tue 09-Apr-13 14:54:57

Hi.
I am ebf my 10 week old dd. I like to express (have a bit of a thing about storing some milk) and will soon start to give some ebm to free me up a bit.

I have an Avent hand pump that does the job but sometimes the valve pops meaning I have to dismantle and reassemble it.
I hear great things about the medula swing being efficient and easy to use.
Has anyone used both? Is it worth the £100 to upgrade to this pump?
Thanks
Em.

Emilythornesbff Tue 09-Apr-13 14:56:50

Oh, fwiw, dh reckons I should get one as "you only get one chance to buy these toys" but I'm a bit more thrifty than he is so it needs to be worth it IYSWIM.

25sunshine Tue 09-Apr-13 15:05:08

Definitely buy one - I only had Avent hand pump with DD1 (and know what you mean with the popping), and it's also dreadfully slow and don't get me onto the squeaking. Resolved to invest in a Medela for DS2 and the difference was incredible - it 's super quick, quiet and you get a LOT more milk for the same effort/time. If you are thrifty then go onto ebay (I sold mine for £38 and as a purchaser you can buy a brand new valve and shield so that it's all hygienic).

Emilythornesbff Tue 09-Apr-13 15:20:26

Thanks sunshine
grin at the squeak. When I expressed at work for ds my colleagues thought there was a mouse in the office.

Pollaidh Tue 09-Apr-13 15:29:32

I used a Medela swing and I would say that if you don't produce much milk, it's not going to make a massive difference. I was one of those who would pump for an hour and get barely enough to feed a mouse, let alone a human baby.

25sunshine Tue 09-Apr-13 16:14:20

You back at work already? Well done on keeping up with the BF, that's impressive!

Emilythornesbff Tue 09-Apr-13 17:50:48

Oh. Sorry. That was with ds, when he was about a year old.
Not back at work yet with 10 week old dd.
Not so impressive. Sorry blush

TwitchyTail Tue 09-Apr-13 19:30:38

In my case it wasn't - I've got much more (and faster) with the Avent handheld than the Medela mini electric and even the Medela Symphony (hospital grade electric double pump). I think it's because I can control the flow and adjust around the boob better. And the electric pumps were more faff (more parts, needing power source etc).

The squeak is intensely irritating I agree grin

McBaby Tue 09-Apr-13 20:51:49

I love my medala swing. It takes batteries or power lead. Not a closed system so milk can get in pump so not good to use if second hand.

Have to say it was a god send when I had mastitis and had to express every 2 hours for a month!

chloeb2002 Wed 10-Apr-13 00:23:37

Mc baby.. sorry to thread hog.. emily.. I just bought a swing to replace hopefully improve on avent isis iq.. How long do the batteries last on the swing. My bug bear with the isis is that unless i bought lithium batteries the battery pack never worked and the lithium ones do one feed!
I have tried the hand pump and electric all the way! we have one hour to express during the day at work, normally in two half hours.. time is precious! Now I am feeding, expressing to top up a poor feeder so again don't want to spend all day expressing / feeding!

PinkPepper Wed 10-Apr-13 01:53:54

I have a spectra 3 off amazon, I've bought the extra pump so can do both breasts at same time - I got 12oz in 10mins last shift, and only stopped because I'd filled the two bottles - so still have time to eat on my 30min break, I love love love it. it doesn't have batteries but it's not been any hassle plugging it in. About half the price of the medula too

Emilythornesbff Wed 10-Apr-13 05:35:38

Thanks all.

Emilythornesbff Wed 17-Apr-13 11:50:21

Just bought the Medela and used it yesterday. Vpleased. It was faster than the hand pump and no valve popping issues. Got 5 oz in around 10 minues whilst feeding on the other side.
At 20 cals an oz of milk I. Ight use it when I can't get to the gym grin

Cookethenook Wed 17-Apr-13 17:45:48

I would see if you can borrow one first.
I borrowed the medela swing from a friend (thank god!) and didn't get on with it at all. I got hardly any milk compared to my avent and mam ones and found it to be very slow. I would have been livid if i spent £100 on it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now