Talk

Advanced search

Some questions again ladies, cant find the info anywhere.

(2 Posts)
nananaps Tue 09-Apr-13 14:12:49

12 week old ds is bf 99% of the time, he has one formula bottle at bed time given by DH so i can go to bed early and get a block sleep in.

I have an electric breast pump, but it hurts me, even on the lowest setting and i only manage to get 20-30Mls off even when my breasts are very engorged. Is this normal?

Babies nappy is still very loose, and he poos at least 4/5 times a day, sometimes 3 times through the night, should this not be settling down now?

He refuses to get along with a dummy, which is fine, but i end up feeding when not sure if its milk he needs or just to suckle, how can you tell for sure, its milk they need?

He is still feeding every 1.5 - 2 hourly, is this normal?

When will the time get longer between feeds?

When will he no longer need any feeds at night?

Thanks ladies x

Emilythornesbff Tue 09-Apr-13 15:09:03

Hi nanaps

Is the pump breast shield the right size? Where is the pain?
Maybe try expressing at a different time of day. It's not unusual to get just small amounts with expressing.

Stools should still be loose. Preferably yellow.

If you think he needs feeding, just try him. He won't breastfeed unless he wants to. Check out the LLL website for tips on feeding cues.
Best to avoid dummy if you are unsure about feeding cues or supply issues.

He shoul soon start to go longer between feeds. Tips:
Feed on demand, let him feed as long as he wants, offer both breasts at each feed. Don't use dummy or supplements as they can affect your supply.
Does he have episodes of going longer between feeds? How many feeds is he having in 24 hrs?

Night feeds vary greatly. But continuing to 10 months is not uncommon.but will be less frequent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now