Talk

Advanced search

Could alcohol be causing vomiting?

(5 Posts)
orangebuccaneer Mon 08-Apr-13 11:42:39

DC#2 is EBF and is 6wks old. Twice now since the birth I've had two medium glasses of wine (not buckets, not thimbles) and then BF. Haven't been at all drunk on it.

Both times I've done this, DC#2 has projectile vomited a few hours later. He's quite reflux-y anyway, but normally just posseting rather than full-scale vomiting.

Are the two related/could they be? Or is it just coincidence? I know that a small amount of alcohol is considered 'safe' whilst BF which is why I only have this amount so can't believe it's affecting him that much but obviously won't drink again if it is.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 08-Apr-13 21:46:08

NHS guidlines say one unit which is 25mls so if you drank more than that then yes.

changeforthebetter Mon 08-Apr-13 22:01:08

25mls of what, Neo? <hmm face inexplicably missing from the iPad app>

OP my EBF DD projectile vomited, I also drank moderate amounts of wine. I had a very fast letdown and that combined with lying her down post-feed resulted in the vomiting - not the wine. Your body processes alcohol at the rate of one unit per hour - average 125ml glass of wine being 1.5 units. If you feed after that time there is barely a trace in your breast milk. The fast letdown was resolved by feeding her in a semi-reclined position so the milk flow was counteracted by gravity.

Obviously, if you drink to excess then it will affect your baby but it sounds like you are not doing this.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 08-Apr-13 22:29:36

One unit of alcohol is approximately a single (25ml) measure of spirits, half a pint of beer or half a standard (175ml) glass of wine, although it depends on the strength of the drink.

taken from NHS site

ThreeWheelsGood Tue 09-Apr-13 11:12:02

Probably just a coincidence, babies like to go through fazes of vomiting/posseting a lot in my limited experience! Like, none for a few days, then a day of lots. But do read up on the guidelines (LLL has good info) on BF and alcohol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now