Talk

Advanced search

Best time to express?

(9 Posts)
melonribena Sun 07-Apr-13 17:23:05

I'm trying to express some milk for my 8 mth old for when I go back to work.

I currently pump before breakfast but rarely get much, probably because he's a big night feeder.

Is there a time of day when I'm likely to do better?

melonribena Sun 07-Apr-13 19:57:53

Anyone know?

blackteaplease Sun 07-Apr-13 20:00:22

I think you might just have to try out different times and see how you get on. I always used to pump while eating breakfast as dd was a big daytime feeder, but couldn't ever pump the rest of the day.

Or maybe trying a better pump might produce more milk.

When do you return to work? Is it before 12 months?

MrsNPattz Sun 07-Apr-13 20:01:27

I'm currently expressing daily as I go away for a weekend in May, and I seem to get the most before little man's first morning feed so that's not really much help sorry! I have read that seeing baby/thinking about baby helps, as does massaging the nipple area. Maybe you could try at other times and see if it makes a difference? If he feeds a lot at night maybe try last thing before you go to bed?

NaNaNatman Sun 07-Apr-13 20:02:41

Hey,

The mornings are defiantly the best time to express for me.
are you using a pump or hand expressing? Could be you and your pump aren't getting on, or maybe try mid morning if LO has a nap?

I couldn't hand express... Or at least I thought I couldn't, that was until I left my pump at home while at work so had no choice, I actually prefer to hand express now as its more effective.

Hope that helps x

melonribena Sun 07-Apr-13 20:16:15

Thank you. I've just bought an electric pump but frustratingly still get the same as my manual one.

I will experiment a bit more! Thank you for sharing.

I'm back at work in 2 months, eek!

blackteaplease Sun 07-Apr-13 20:21:33

Ah ok, I was asking as obviously you could use cows milk during the day after 12 months and still breastfeed when not at work if you wanted to.

If your dc is a big night feeder and you feed before and after work, how much milk would they need during the day? I know that dd would feed 2 hourly right up til she weaned at the age of 2 but that was for comfort really, if offered a bottle she would feed much less than that and make up for it when I was there.

Good luck.

plummyjam Mon 08-Apr-13 11:13:52

When I first started expressing with a Tommy Tippee manual I only managed about half an ounce per boob. On the third go I persisted for about 15 mins then the milk suddenly started flowing and I got 3 oz. I think believing that I could do it has subsequently helped the let down to get going and I've not had any problems since. I express first thing in the morning.

melonribena Mon 08-Apr-13 15:02:16

Thanks again! I had a go at pumping an hour after his lunch feed (while he was eating his crumpet!) and got 2oz from one side in about 2 minutes!

I will definitely keep experimenting but I was already impressed with that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now