Talk

Advanced search

2yo DS self weaning and I'm sad

(10 Posts)
Honeymoonmummy Sat 06-Apr-13 21:03:55

Yes I know, I'm being ridiculous. I'm very fortunate that I was able to BF in the first place. DS turned 2 a couple of weeks ago and for months the BF has been petering out. He has fed once, for about 2 mins, in the last week and once the week before. DD fed till 18 months and it's happened naturally which is what I wanted but I can't help feeling sad, esp as not having any more DC's. Just having a moment, feel free to ignore!

LAF77 Sun 07-Apr-13 00:26:28

You aren't ridiculous. I am only at 1 year in and I know I will be a blubbery mess when DS stops. It takes me back to being my newborn baby when he latches on.

Honeymoonmummy Sun 07-Apr-13 00:42:38

Thanks Laf. It's funny actually, when my DD now 4.5 uses a straw she looks like she did when she was BF. It makes it harder I think because DS is a real daddy's boy (DD's a mummy's girl) so it's removing the main source of bonding and he seems to have become closer to DH since he started weaning sad

LAF77 Sun 07-Apr-13 12:23:48

You can be sure that all of the affection you showed him by bfing, you allowed him to grow up confident to have that bond with his dad. The milk will last a life time.

rubyslippers Sun 07-Apr-13 12:26:07

i sobbed when I weaned DD

it is emotional for all sorts of reasons

she was my second and last child so that was a whole other emotion

Honeymoonmummy Mon 08-Apr-13 08:01:22

He had a little feed yesterday smile

midori1999 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:16:51

I think it must be normal to feel like that.

My DD is 22 months and I am 13 weeks pregnant. I thought she might self wean during pregnancy and I was quite happy with that as although I love breast feeding her, there a times when I hate it and I also get a nursing aversions at times.

However, in the last few weeks she has definitely reduced her feeds (maybe as my supply has dropped a bit, or my supply might have dropped as she's dropped feeds... ) and she doesn't even mind if I am there but don't feed her in the mornings. Sometimes she will just have a quick feed for 30 seconds other mornings and then come off. I don't think she's self weaning yet, she is still having quite a few feeds if we're home all day, but I do feel a bit sad. It surprised me.

Honeymoonmummy Wed 17-Apr-13 22:25:03

He's still hanging in there, quick feed approx 30 secs each side this morning. It was lovely while it lasted. I started doing little kisses from his wrist up the inside of his arm so he came off in a fit of giggles. They're the moments I'll never forget smile

LAF77 Thu 18-Apr-13 00:37:51

Lovely honeymoonmummy

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 18-Apr-13 08:31:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now