Talk

Advanced search

is baby getting enough?

(12 Posts)
jk2738 Sat 06-Apr-13 17:43:50

I am breastfeeding my 2 week old baby. He has plenty of wet and dirty nappies but will not settle and is constantly looking to feed. He only sleeps when he falls asleep feeding or in the bed. Could this be a sign he is not getting enough food.

katiecubs Sat 06-Apr-13 17:46:42

I think that's just normal! Well that's what I was told when I asked all the same questions about DS2 when he was first born. He's now 7.5 weeks and much more settled and feeding every 2.5 - 3 hours, hold tight it will get easier!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Sat 06-Apr-13 17:46:58

Er no that sounds fairly normal.

Wet and dirty nappies is good!

Has he beed weighed recently?

jk2738 Sat 06-Apr-13 17:49:25

he was born 6pounds 2 fell to 5 13 and was 6 pounds last Tuesday. He is due to be weighed again on Tuesday

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Sat 06-Apr-13 19:28:00

So he is gaining and almost back at birth weight, thats good!

jk2738 Sat 06-Apr-13 20:05:55

Thanks for the replies. He just feels like he is hungry the whole time. Everytime I put him down, he cries to be fed.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Sat 06-Apr-13 20:10:09

He just want to be held and to feed as he wants to ferl safe and secure and thats what he feels at the boob! Very normal and all this feeding will be making your milk suppply well established. Plus its natures way of making you sit on your arse and rest. it realky is very normal,

all five of mine were like this and it settles down xxx

Congrarulations xx

midori1999 Sat 06-Apr-13 20:10:33

It sounds like its going great and completely normal JK. Plenty of wet and dirty nappies and good weight gain. Frequent feeds are normal and will ensure you have a good milk supply.

Not wanting to be put down is completely normal for most newborns and isn't feeding related. Your baby has been inside you for 9 months and will feel very safe when close to you, you are familiar to him. Obviously this can be hard on you, I found a moby wrap (a kind of sling/carrier) helped keep my hands free.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Sat 06-Apr-13 20:12:31

I second the moby wrap, its fab!

TerrariaMum Sat 06-Apr-13 20:15:58

Entirely normal. Remember, at this stage, his stomach is still little bigger than a walnut so of course he will need to fill up often.

AmandaCooper Sat 06-Apr-13 22:19:55

It sounds like you are doing brilliantly to me.

cakesonatrain Sun 07-Apr-13 07:51:06

If you put him down he cries to be fed but if you hold him he stays happy, right?
Perfectly normal - he just wants to be close to his mummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now